Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vivitar series 1 v3 f2.8-5_No aperture reading

hi all.....
i just purchase a vivitar series 1, version 3 (komine) 70-210mm f2.8-4 lens...'a'
from b+h photo..... eagerly awaited i must say....
just mounted (sounds wrong somehow) to my k200d body... but
the body will not set an aperture,
all i get is the display, F-------, that's it...
now i'm not an expert in using 'a' manual lenses, but have a few which have set an aperture with no problem...
such as my sears 135mm f2.8 with the 'a' on the aperture ring... no problem, sets the aperture automatically as it should...
any ideas???? i couldn't wait to land this lens, it was affordable....
here are some quick pics of the new lens....

04-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem with a Vivitar 200mm f 3.5. Would appreciate some help.
04-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A quick Google search brought me back to this post on this forum. Seems your K200's Kaf2 mount does not have the required hardware to operate the aperture on your old lens...
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
i guess the sky is not falling after all....
i 'played' around with the aperture ring, and discovered that it was not locking properly
in the 'a' setting.... perhaps due to the age of the lens (20+ years ??) a minute bit
of dust/dirt was hindering this from taking place...
with a few gentle movements back and forth, i was actually able to see the 'pin' pop
out from it's little recess when the aperture ring was locked into the 'a' setting...
whew !! it now works, but now i have to deal with the weight of this lens, what a tank!!!
i will ask this next question in a new post... but will put it out there now..
can a very small amount of wd-40 (applied with a toothpick), into the 'a' pin, help this
problem, can it hurt??? ... i've also considered silicone spray for the same task.........

04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought digital Pentax SLRs couldn't use the pin in lenses? Meaning in A position it would always be wide open.
04-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I thought digital Pentax SLRs couldn't use the pin in lenses? Meaning in A position it would always be wide open.
Sounds like you're talking about auto-aperture M42 screw mount lenses, not K mount...