Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Got a fungus -ridden lens from eekbay

The seller didn't actually say that the glass is clean, I know. But geez. The lens was packed only in a ziplock bag with no caps or protection whatsoever. The front glass is badly scratched. Lucky the back one is still not too bad. But with a pancake both glass is still pretty close to the sensor. Should I pursue a refund? It's probably not worth it since sending the lens back would cost me the refund money. Maybe I can just try to open the lens and clean the fungus...

EXCELLENT RUSSIAN TESSAR COPY INDUSTAR-50 3,5/50 M42 - eBay (item 160323232901 end time Mar-22-09 16:45:45 PDT)

04-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps you could negotiate a refund without shipping it back. The seller, with 100% positive feedback, might decide $15 is not worth getting one negative feedback over.
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Perhaps you could negotiate a refund without shipping it back. The seller, with 100% positive feedback, might decide $15 is not worth getting one negative feedback over.
What he said. Perhaps "Excellent" means something different in Russian/Ukrainian. Out of curiosity, is the lens pictured the same one that you received (same serial number)?

Steve
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, I did receive the same lens. Seems like he got a stockpile of them for some reason... Thanks for the answers! I'll try to ask him for a refund.

04-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, pursue the refund wholeheartedly. The seller shows %100 positive feedback--I doubt he'll mess with that.

Please let us know how you make out--thanks.
04-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After taking a second look at the envelope I noticed that it's actually padded with bubblewrap, so the scratch is probably not from packaging... Also I noticed that the seller sent me a postcard from Ukraine. There's no message but I thought it's still really nice. I felt bad sending him a bad sounding letter earlier... so I sent him another one admitting that the scratch is probably not his fault, and asked for a partial refund from the fungus + bad scratches. I hope he gets the english since he seems to use a translator... We'll see how it goes.
05-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seller refunded the lens in full... Despite the langauage barrier and the delay in processing he seems really honest. Russian sellers use this intermediary company to use paypal I heard. I think that slows down the processing a bit.