Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Is this an aftermarket or genuine Pentax?

Remove the lens first.

If it is Pentax, look at the camera's lens mount, 10 o'clock position. You'll see a small steel leaf spring (likely dark color) that is locked to the camera's lens mount. Use the tip if a ball pen, depress that spring (pushing it toward the center of the lens mount) while rotating the adapter counter clockwise.

I think the procedure is the same for the aftermarket adapter, but I don't have direct experience with it.
Thank you VERY much for the clear and complete instructions. Worked like a charm in <1 min after reading them

11-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Last year I wanted to mess around with M42 lenses so I went to a second-hand dealer I know to look at some. He also had a genuine Pentax adapter, so I tried it. It took 10 minutes, the adapter tool and two technicians from their repair dept to remove it. A very long 10 minutes that was. Never again will such an adapter threaten my camera. I dread to think what the cheap third party ones can do.

It isnīt as if there arenīt enough old K-mount lenses available. Sorry all you Tak lovers, itīs definitely not for me.
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Last year I wanted to mess around with M42 lenses so I went to a second-hand dealer I know to look at some. He also had a genuine Pentax adapter, so I tried it. It took 10 minutes, the adapter tool and two technicians from their repair dept to remove it. A very long 10 minutes that was. Never again will such an adapter threaten my camera. I dread to think what the cheap third party ones can do.

It isnīt as if there arenīt enough old K-mount lenses available. Sorry all you Tak lovers, itīs definitely not for me.
First of all, the original Pentax adapter doesn't require an adapter to remove it. It doesn't even COME with one.

So you were lied to about what you witnessed in the first place, and you're missing out on everything:

With the original Pentax K-M42 adapter, it's a no-brainer to mount or release the lens. And installing and removing the adapter is a piece of CAKE. Takes about FIVE seconds,

There has never been, EVER been, a problem with someone dismounting an M42 lens from this adapter. And the only problems have been with people buying 3rd party adapters who didn't know to remove the itty bitty screw and spring clip--which takes all of about 10 seconds. So in this respect, the 3rd party adapters aren't a problem either, unless you buy a flanged one which doesn't allow infinity focus.

The M42s are built like TANKS compared to the later K mounts--steel versus plastic--so if you prefer plastic, have fun!

But until you get yourself a Pentax adapter and Tak 50 1.4, you simply haven't lived.
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, I have an off brand, non-flange, adapter (sans retaining clip.....now) and a SuperTak 50/1.4 so I guess I'm living now

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
First of all, the original Pentax adapter doesn't require an adapter to remove it. It doesn't even COME with one.

So you were lied to about what you witnessed in the first place, and you're missing out on everything:

With the original Pentax K-M42 adapter, it's a no-brainer to mount or release the lens. And installing and removing the adapter is a piece of CAKE. Takes about FIVE seconds,

There has never been, EVER been, a problem with someone dismounting an M42 lens from this adapter. And the only problems have been with people buying 3rd party adapters who didn't know to remove the itty bitty screw and spring clip--which takes all of about 10 seconds. So in this respect, the 3rd party adapters aren't a problem either, unless you buy a flanged one which doesn't allow infinity focus.

The M42s are built like TANKS compared to the later K mounts--steel versus plastic--so if you prefer plastic, have fun!

But until you get yourself a Pentax adapter and Tak 50 1.4, you simply haven't lived.