Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
m42 to PK adapter stuck

Hi there, I mounted a supertakumar 1.4 50mm on a K20d and it worked beautifully, but I cant get the adapter off the camera. Any experience eith this?

Thanks in advance.

Irak

04-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a variety of adapters of entirely different design.
I think you should submit a picture to help others help you.

Do not worry, by the way, I am sure you will be able to remove it soon
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Is this an aftermarket or genuine Pentax?

Remove the lens first.

If it is Pentax, look at the camera's lens mount, 10 o'clock position. You'll see a small steel leaf spring (likely dark color) that is locked to the camera's lens mount. Use the tip if a ball pen, depress that spring (pushing it toward the center of the lens mount) while rotating the adapter counter clockwise.

I think the procedure is the same for the aftermarket adapter, but I don't have direct experience with it.
04-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar problem with a third-party (non-Pentax) adapter and it required 2.5 hours of fiddling before it finally came off. The third-party adapters generally come with a tool. It helps. Beyond using the tool, I can't offer any advice. Sorry this happened to you.

Steve

(Sent my adapter back to Adorama for a refund...left an unfavorable review too...)

04-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I know of three (3) types of M42-PK adapters. The official Pentax adapters, which allow infinity focus, and the aftermarket adapters with flanges, which don't, are no trouble. The aftermarket infinity-focus type, which you seem to have, is a [expletive deleted] bear. Do as SOldBear and stevebrot suggest. After (if) you get the adapter off, you have a choice:

1) Toss it in the garbage.
2) Try to get a refund (good luck).
3) With a tiny screwdriver, remove the retaining spring. THAT is the source of your trouble.

I have a number of such adapters (bought when I was young and stupid, last year) and I've despringed them all. I now use them semi-permanently on M42 lenses that DON'T have tight focus or aperture rings. I can almost pretend those are PK lenses, as long as I don't twist them too enthusiastically (and thereby remove them from the camera unintentionally - oops).
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adapter fix

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I now use them semi-permanently on M42 lenses that DON'T have tight focus or aperture rings. I can almost pretend those are PK lenses, as long as I don't twist them too enthusiastically (and thereby remove them from the camera unintentionally - oops).
There's a simple solution to this. Go to the closest auto parts/machine shop/hardware store and ask for a tube of * LockTite * thread sealant. There's two types: one's permanent, the other's not. Take your pick, but the non-permanent type will do just fine. A l'il dab on the M42 lens threads will keep the adapter on the lens.

Of course a l'il dab of fingernail polish or silicon sealant will accomplish the same thing.

Be sure to remove the spring on the adapter first - especially if you chose the permanent LockTite.

Now spot drill a notch at the proper spot in the base of the M42 lens for the K-mount latch pin and you've just built a bayonet mount. I off-set the notch so the aperture ring isn't hidden by the flash hood.

H2

And if anyone's tempted to trash those cheap, much maligned, don't-focus-to-infinity adapters you can send 'em to me instead. There's a way to fix that too.
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
And if anyone's tempted to trash those cheap, much maligned, don't-focus-to-infinity adapters you can send 'em to me instead. There's a way to fix that too.
A fix? Oooohhhh... Luckily they work fine with 'portrait' lenses and macros, where you don't need infinity-focus anyway. And on long cheap teles that focus *past* infinity, they work wonders. I have'em on my Spiratone 400 and Rubinar 1000.

01-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

Now spot drill a notch at the proper spot in the base of the M42 lens for the K-mount latch pin and you've just built a bayonet mount. I off-set the notch so the aperture ring isn't hidden by the flash hood.
PACERR!

what exactly did you mean about drilling a hole for the 'k-mount latch pin'?

Is this the little pin that stands proud on the mount of the K10D, near the little ball bearings? Why is this necessary, would it not just push in as you fit the lens?

Reason I'm asking is that I've just bought my third adapter, I wanted to mount them on my three m42 lenses permanently, making them pk fit.. I've removed the retaining clip on my first adapter ages ago, but the lens has a real stiff focus ring, so i ended up twisting the lens off every time! So I'm very interested in sorting them out, any detailed info would be appreciated..

Thanks folks!
01-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #9

Ahh, I think I see now, it's the pin that depresses when you push the lens release button isn't it!

So you only need to drill a half-hole, an indentation if you will, for the pin to slot into, then it's a PK mount lens...

I'll experiment next weekend!
01-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
bit off topic that mate, i'm sad to hear you're depressed but I'd ring the samaritans not post on pentaxforums...
01-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cactusmelba Quote
bit off topic that mate, i'm sad to hear you're depressed but I'd ring the samaritans not post on pentaxforums...
In case you didn't figure it out. He was alluding to the fact that people are recommending someone deface a vintage lens reducing its resale value etc.
01-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #13

Yep, it was figured, just sarcasm..

I didn't realise my miranda 28mm f/2.8 would be worth SO much to start with, or my optomax 135mm f/2.8. Maybe I should put them on e-bay UNDRILLED and then retire.

01-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
In case you didn't figure it out. He was alluding to the fact that people are recommending someone deface a vintage lens reducing its resale value etc.
What has the world come to that PentaxForums mods don't intercept a thread full of Takumar molesters?

()
01-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #15

scuse me, i wouldn't dare take an implement to a takumar, I have a cherished 50mm f/1.4 that will stay unmolested to its dying day!

however, i don't mind butchering a lesser optomax..