Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M42 Adapter Questions

Hi all,

Just picked up a S-M-C Takumar 135 1:3.5. It is MINT..... i can hardly bring myself to use it. It is so well made it puts todays lens' to shame. Anyway, i made the mistake of buying a cheap fleabay m42 adapter. Of course i can not focus to infinity. Can anyone post a link to where i can buy the proper pentax adapter? or a kind that does focus to infinity?

I am in Australia but happy to purchase from overseas.

cheers
mike

04-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Here´s the original one:General Brand | Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter | ABPKS
04-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks PFH, I'll give the Aussie distributor a few more days to reply and if not......... the USA economy will get my money.

cheers
mike
04-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's not one of the original Pentax versions of the m42 adapter. It's a third party adapter and probably lets you run the risk of getting it stuck on the body; a complaint which crops up time and time again with the non-Pentax manufatured ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The original Pentax M42 to PK adapters have several different versions. The very earlier version has ASAHI PENTAX marked on top and JAPAN at the bottom, and the marks are in black color. It comes in carton box like this one:

The later version has PENTAX on top and JAPAN at bottom, marks are in either black or white color. It comes in green plastic bag like these:

The original adapters are easy to use, you don't need a tool to take it out of the camera. But I do feel they are abit lose when mounted. Some third party ones are actually better fit than the original ones.

Of course the best M42 to PK adapter (so far I could find) is the one from Kindai:
�M42 to PK adapter by Kindai

They are expensive, almost three times as of the original Pentax ones. But if you have some M42 lens from Fujinon (w/ no Auto/Manual switch on the lens), you'd love these adapters.

04-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is the real deal. I've used the Bower one too. It works fine, just not quite as nice as the genuine Pentax version.
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I've used the Bower one too. It works fine, just not quite as nice as the genuine Pentax version.
I've seen this comment quite often so I know the results have been mixed for forum members. The Bower did NOT work for me. That's my experience.
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

I am a focus trap/catch in focus aficionado. To do this with a screw mount lens using a genuine Pentax M42 adapter you have to short out the contacts with a piece of aluminum foil, or remove the paint from the back of the lens. I remove the paint with a Dremel drill, sandpaper, Exacto knife combination. Sounds daunting, but that's what separates the men from the boys! Note: the cheapo adapter above left has had it's paint sanded off to permit focus trapping but will not focus at infinity. I agree with wlank, the Bower did not work for me either. I like the original.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 04-07-2009 at 06:03 PM.
04-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess I should add that it was comments on this forum about the Bower adapter failures that prompted me to get the genuine Pentax adapter. Though I used it with out issues for over a year, I didn't want to be one of the casualties! Get the genuine Pentax one.
04-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
The Bower did NOT work for me. That's my experience.
Bowers were nearly disastrous on my K20D. That's why I unscrewed the springs from every single [expletive deleted] last one of them, all except the one I destroyed whilst removing it from the camera. Maybe they aren't TOO toxic on some PK cams, but why risk it?
04-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
As far as I can tell, the critical difference between Pentax brand and 3rd party flange-less adapters is a small machining detail. The pentax adapter's ear roots flanking the spring are square while non-Pentax adapters may be rounded. Pentax on left:

This is an easy DIY fix. A rounded ear root allows the adapter to rotate too far into the mount & get trapped.

Iowa Dave
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bought my genuine Pentax M42 adapter from a store in Canada via online purchase. The store is called Henrys and with shipping I had change from $50 AUD if that's any help to you Schmik. They took just under a week to deliver. I wouldn't bother trying to get one off our local Ebay because they end up selling for really stupid prices.
04-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I am amazed that there are still people who turn up with the flanged variety despite countless repeated warnings against it in more threads than you can shake a stick at.
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Not EVERYONE always depends on the bottomless font of knowledge that is PentaxForums.com, you know.

Their loss.
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I am amazed that there are still people who turn up with the flanged variety despite countless repeated warnings against it in more threads than you can shake a stick at.
Well, they *do* have a useful purpose. They can become the new baseplate of a lens that was originally designed for a different mount. I've heard that it's particularly easy to convert Minolta lenses to PK with these adapters. I'll be trying it myself soon...
04-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aha.... you can get get them locally through CR Kennedy. Just get your shop to order it. $27 + shipping.

And yes.... i knew there was issues with third party flanged ones but All this talk off springs and flanges just didn't sink in. Didn't give it the brain power it needed at the time.

cheers
mike