Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I feel that way about my new-to-me A 50mm F1.4 and the FA* 85mm F1.4 as well. Makes you marvel that a simple metal cylinder with glass stuck inside it could be a thing of beauty...

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
What really makes it look big is the front element. It is truly amazing to peer through the lens when it is wide open (and not on the camera), it's just a big hunk of beautiful clear glass.

04-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yes I have read your post, but I was interested in seeing what other people have been doing to manage working with this lens...trap focusing with this lens is a very handy, I sometimes set my camera to 3FPS so I can bracket focus.

I was also curious to see Images other people have created using this lens...because I haven't found many images taken with it out there on the internet. I'd like to rectify that.
try checking out all the links in that article, there are some pictures there
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I get the impression you have never used a decent focus screen... mine has split prism AND a micro ring around that, and there is no way you can focus as well without it. Its exactly the opposite of 'terrible' for situations where precision is needed!

And also never seen any effect on the metering precision... or speed, but I must admit that is not something critical to what I do so perhaps I have not noticed.
I vote with this side. While I don't have a 50mm f1.2 lens, I do have 55mm lenses at f1.2, f1.4, f1.8, f2.0 and f2.8. With the KatzEye, I can focus precisely with all of them. My proof would look just like Rawhead's. I don't notice any precision difference at f1.2. I get eyestrain using the stock focusing screen at wide apertures, and far more errors.

Metering might not be perfect but I suspect metering is never perfect. Focus errors are IMO way more annoying than metering errors.
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
try checking out all the links in that article, there are some pictures there
One of mine :

04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
my comment about the viewfinder brightness was regarding the Pentax ME
Cameras of that era also used microprism focusing screens which reject part of the light of very fast lenses in order to direct more light from conventional lenses toward the eye. I don't have an ME to confirm, but on my ME Super my 50mm f/1.4 shows negligible difference in brightness between f/1.4 and f/2 and only about half the brightness difference between f/2 vs. f/2.8 compared to f/2.8 vs. f/4.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I use "microprisms" in this context I'm not talking about the reticulated ring surrounding the central split-image circle, but rather the "matte" area which fills the rest of the viewfinder. In the old days, this was called "ground glass", but during the 70's they started forming it from plastics which could be molded, and by incorporating microprisms they were able to improve the apparent brightness of the viewfinder at the expense of loosing some of the light from very fast lenses. (But of course this affects the viewfinder only, not the actual exposures).
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I get the impression you have never used a decent focus screen...

au contraire, have you ever used a Bronica with the chimmeney viewfinder? or a Hasselblad V500 with a minolta focusing screen? both of those cameras offer the best SLR viewfinder money can buy and the screens themselves are as good as it gets. and I wouldn't say the view through a pentax ME is dim and dingy the way most digital slr cameras are. (Also the Contax aria has one of the best 35mm viewfinders I have ever had the pleasure of using while we are on the subject)

the pentax 50mm f/1.2 is the only manual focus prime I use,(at the moment) there isn't much point in me getting a Katz eye screen when the majority of lenses I use are AF. but look at the images I have, you can't say that it would make a huge amount of difference to the images I produce using the lens by spending $105 on a piece of plastic, sure it would help, it would make things a bit quicker. but I'd rather deal with focusing issues than have to waste my time messing around with exposure compensation due to a compromised metering system.

..each to his own.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-08-2009 at 05:45 PM.
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #37
Forum Member

I've just bought a copy locally here in Toronto... today. So I've only taken about 5 pictures with it so far. In the meantime, before having some decent pictures to post, let me say this:

The K20 is my first DLSR, bought last week. One of the main lenses I've used for the last year or two is the canon FD 50mm 1.2 lens from the 70s on a manual focus body.

Fantastic lens, even though it isn't the highest of its series (aspherical nor L). Believe it or not, it was my main lens on summer holidays (the only other one being a 20mm 2.8), and until I started reading about the pentax 1.2 I never thought to myself-this is hard to focus. And I wear eyeglasses, which I was not wearing most of the time. So I think it's a matter of using such a lens long enough. And by the way, compared to it the pentax K has a significantly smaller diameter and is quite a bit lighter :-). It's still true that it's glass from one side to the other so it might attract some looks for being a bit different...
04-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D 100iso 1/4000" F8
[/QUOTE]

That photo... WOW...

04-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Thank you Ilia80 !