Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seeing what my new (old) A 50/1.7 can do...

Just got my Pentax-A 50/1.7 in the mail the other day, and it's been living on my camera ever since. What an awesome lens!!! I can forgive it it's cheap plastic barrel and 80's-vintage flourescent distance markings when it takes such awesome photos.

I was heading back to my office at 3am (ah, the life of a grad student ), when I passed by the campus power plant. Of course I had my K100D and A 50/1.7 with me, and here is the result:

1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800

04-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh crap, those are big. Here are some smaller ones:

04-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Just got my Pentax-A 50/1.7 in the mail the other day, and it's been living on my camera ever since. What an awesome lens!!!....

Nice pictures. I especially like the first one. Taken hand held, I presume? Very sharp. You must have a steady hand!

Will
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, I like the first one too. The very ghostly industrial look. The second one will be nicer if say there was a person walking by on the other side of the road or something.

04-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #5

Horrible scene, beautifully seen.
04-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quite high ISO for these industrial images. Great stuff.
04-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
db2

purple fringing

That light closest to the camera in the second shot is showing purple fringing. This is the same problem I get with most of the older lenses when there is water about. Still very good lense for portraits and flower shots. It took me a while to get over the cheap feel of this lens compared to the M series lenses. Glad your happy with the new lens Finn, I wish you lots of good subjects. Cheers Pete.

04-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by db2 Quote
That light closest to the camera in the second shot is showing purple fringing. This is the same problem I get with most of the older lenses when there is water about. Still very good lense for portraits and flower shots. It took me a while to get over the cheap feel of this lens compared to the M series lenses. Glad your happy with the new lens Finn, I wish you lots of good subjects. Cheers Pete.
Yeah, I tried desaturating the blue part of the spectrum in PP, but it wasn't working well for me. I might go back to the raw file and tinker with it, though. All I did to these was a little cropping and WB adjustment.
04-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #9

Very cool photos

That plant is the size of my entire campus (which consists of one little building...). I too like the first one better. It's magical in a disturbing way
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Finn! Well, now I know where you're from. I've worked next to that power plant for way too long. I've never taken any pictures of it though; don't want to mix work with pleasure! I like how all the elements (lights, darkness, fog and rain) work together in the picture.
I have the M 50 1.7 but always wanted the A version. I haven't used it much since I got my FA35/2 but it is a wonderful lens.
Nice pictures.
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
Hi Finn! Well, now I know where you're from. I've worked next to that power plant for way too long. I've never taken any pictures of it though; don't want to mix work with pleasure! I like how all the elements (lights, darkness, fog and rain) work together in the picture.
I have the M 50 1.7 but always wanted the A version. I haven't used it much since I got my FA35/2 but it is a wonderful lens.
Nice pictures.
Well, I walk by it every morning and every afternoon, and it has always intrigued me. I like the idea of creating beautiful photos of fundamentally unattractive things, so I've been trying to take a good picture for months without much luck. I'm glad I decided to head in to work (very!) early the other day.

Nice to know Ames, Iowa is so well represented here!