Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with lens decision

Hey everybody. I've had my K100D for a almost 2 years now and I've basically just had the kit lens to shoot with. I recently picked up a M 50 1.7 which is great but I'm looking for a high quality auto focus lens to replace the kit lens. I've been looking at the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di. I'm really just looking for a nice all around type lens. Both seem like great lenses but I'm leaning towards the Tamron since I found a much better deal for it.

04-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depending on the focal length you're after for perhaps the Pentax 18-250mm might be worth consideration?
04-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Krame Quote
Hey everybody. I've had my K100D for a almost 2 years now and I've basically just had the kit lens to shoot with. I recently picked up a M 50 1.7 which is great but I'm looking for a high quality auto focus lens to replace the kit lens. I've been looking at the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di. I'm really just looking for a nice all around type lens. Both seem like great lenses but I'm leaning towards the Tamron since I found a much better deal for it.
I had a Tamron 28-75, which was very sharp all over, nice colour & bokeh, and snappy AF too.

Do you find you use the wide end much? I found that 28 wasn't wide enough to do absolutely everything I wanted, so I've been using a DA*16-50 now and complementing with a longer prime, so if you do use the wide end of the kit, that might be an important consideration.

The sigma drops to f/4.5 on the long end, whereas the Tamron is 2.8 throughout which is very nice.
04-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

If you like fix-focal-lengths, get the DA 40 Limited, or if you like Macro-Pics the DA 35 Macro Limited.

04-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I definitely want the versatility of having a zoom lens. I don't use the wind end of the kit lens that much which is why I am fine with the 28mm of the tamron. Forgot that he tamron was a constant 2.8, I do like that. The Pentax 18-250 is a little out of my price range. I'm really considering the tamron now.
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #6

I think, the Pentax 16-45 could be a good choice for you. Itīs has constant 4,0 open aperture.

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/short/index.html
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Do you intend to do all your shooting in that FL range? If so, then it makes sense to get a faster, sharper lens. If not then you will be duplicating and it might be wise to get a zoom with longer FL to increase your range.
As you said, you have had it for nearly two years so it must have been working ok for you. BTW, the kit lens won the monthly photo contest this for March against stiff competition; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/winners-showcase/52398-february-2009-winn...ay-bridge.html
If you want to consider a longer FL and budget is a constraint, the Pentax 50-200 is the 'other' kit lens and is capable of taking good photographs and it is reasonably priced. I'm not going to kid you that it is the best lens out there but it's competent and would have the advantage of opening up your photographic horizons because the two kit lenses combined give you a useful FL range of 18-200mm.

04-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the input. I don't find myself needing to zoom out tat far a lot. Most of my shooting is fairly close or indoors. I figured a lens with around 75mm would be a decent amount of zoom for me. I considered getting a 50-200 or a 70-300 but I felt like the wide end of those lenses wouldn't be wide enough for normal shooting.
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #9

Yes, thatīs true, the Pentax 50-200 is a very very nice tele-zoom! I have one! It has excellent build quality, quick autofokus, good manuell fokussing (if needed) and a really good optical quality.

The best budget tele-zoom, you can get!!!
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Krame Quote
Thanks for the input. I definitely want the versatility of having a zoom lens. I don't use the wind end of the kit lens that much which is why I am fine with the 28mm of the tamron. Forgot that he tamron was a constant 2.8, I do like that. The Pentax 18-250 is a little out of my price range. I'm really considering the tamron now.
The kit lens doesn't fetch much, but it's a fine lens all the same--can you keep it? Based on your info, I think the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (especially handy indoors!) plus your kit lens when you need something wider would be a better setup than the 17-70.

I've never used the 17-70 though, only the Tamron and the kit!
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones help. I was too tempted by the Tamron 28-75 because of the price. I ended up getting it for $240. I think this lens will make me happy. You guys did pretty much convince me to get the Pentax 50-200 for my next lens purchase though. And yes farfisa, I am keeping the kit lens.