Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

Pentax/Samsung 50-200 Vs Tamron 55-200...

In Photozone the Pentax 50-200 has a bad CA control, but the Tamron is not evaluated there yet.

Anybody has compared both lenses??

Is the Samsung version similar to Pentax with CA control??

Thank you...

04-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexramos Quote
In Photozone the Pentax 50-200 has a bad CA control, but the Tamron is not evaluated there yet.

Anybody has compared both lenses??

Is the Samsung version similar to Pentax with CA control??

Thank you...
I'm 99% sure that Photozone tested a bad sample of the DA50-200, based on my own experience and the fact that all of the other professional reviews and most user reports have been much more positive. Sample variation is a fact of life with all lenses, but might be even more common with consumer grade lenses.
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photozone claims to have repeated the DA50-200 test with a second copy of the lens that Pentax sent them after verifying it was up to acceptable standards, and Photozone still found it wanting. Whatever. Others have tested it and find it great. I think the extent to which lens performance objectively measurable is greatly overestimated.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-07-2009 at 09:17 PM.
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have the Sony copy of the Tamron 55-200. Is the same lens, but with the filter diameter of 55mm.
This lens is very good (consider the price), the optical quality is Ok and if this Pentax/Samsung is similar to this will be perfect.

I could to get a GX10 soon and a good and cheap telezoom could be my first option...

04-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Regretted selling my DA 50-200mm awhile back. Got another copy and I can categorically say Photozone has got it SO WRONG with regards to this lens.

04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Photozone claims to have repeated the DA50-200 test with a ecnd copy of the lens that pentax sent them after verifying it was up to acceptable standards, and Photozone still found it wanting. Whatever. Others have tested it and find it great. I think the extent to which lens performance objectively measurable is greatly overestimated.
Not quite, he sent it back to Pentax for servicing and they sent him back the *same* lens saying it was within spec:
Look at the provided samples in the review: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I don't think they realized it was being reviewed and Pentax definitely bungled this one!
04-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Not quite, he sent it back to Pentax for servicing and they sent him back the *same* lens saying it was within spec:
Look at the provided samples in the review: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I don't think they realized it was being reviewed and Pentax definitely bungled this one!
Interesting! I was going by this comment in the review itself:

Please note that the 1st tested lens has been replaced by Pentax and the 2nd tested lens has been reconfirmed by Pentax to be within specs.
04-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
But Photozone need other copy for that review...

Good picture Creampuff...

04-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
emr

I was today at the local library and happened to browse a Swedish photography magazine (was it "Foto"?). This new issue had brief evaluations of more than 100 lenses that they'd tested before. It was curious that they found the Samsung branded kit lens (sorry, can't remember for sure whether it was the shorter or the longer, but I think it was the 50-200mm) sharper than the similar Pentax branded. They were speculating if that was due to random quality variation or if Samsung branded lenses are made to a tighter tolerance.

EDIT: They had several Pentax lenses listed incl. 40mm, 70mm, 77mm limiteds and 16-50 and 50-135mm stars - and it seems no Pentax lens was given a highly recommended status. The Samsung branded kit zoom was given a bang-for-buck recommendation as it was about 20% cheaper than the similar Pentax.

EDIT 2: Checked the magazine (Foto). The zoom in question was 50-200mm. And in correction, from the several Pentax lenses listed, I now noticed two that were considered "top class": 77mm ltd and 100mm 2.8 macro.

Last edited by emr; 04-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.
04-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you for the information, I am interested in the Samsung version.