Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RED ALERT - help please

oh boy, where to start
maybe:

my 31ltd broke, maybe better said I broke it....
seems like I hit it somewhere (I even think I know where) and the built in hood did it's job (of protecting the front element), but didn't withstand the impact. Something inside the lens, that was holding the built in hood in place on the left side, broke off and came loose. The hood still holds in the place though I can depress the left side a bit if I try, while right side is solid. I can clearly hear that loose bit rattling arond when I move the lens but I can't see it. It's between the inner barrel and the focusing ring, and if the lens is in certain position the focusing jams. I need to shift the ring tilt the lens and then I can go from infinity to closest. Basicaly I have piece of whatever rattling between two barrels.....
so again

what to do? I know I probably should send it to Pentax, but I'm bit worried about price/time aspects. Does anybody have experience with having ltds (any ltd lenses or * lenses) repaired? How much can it cost? Any advices greatly appreciated

Thank you,
Peter

PS: Having said that, I fully accept responsibility for this but it leaves me somewhat dissapointed. I mean 1 hit, ONE!!! And built quality of this lens is something so much raved about. I've had DA40 rattling in my work bag (without padding or any kind of protection) taking knocks and hits for nearly a year now and still in perfect mechanical (and optical for that matter) condition. And all it takes to take the venrably well put together FA31 out of action is one hit!!!
I know it's fully my fault and I'm to blame, not the lens, but I'm still dissapointed...

anyway, any kind of suggestions would be good

BR

04-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Sorry to hear about that Peter, that's a bummer. I guess that's one drawback of a built in hood.
Is it still under warranty? If you didn't do any damage to the outer part of the hood, it may suggest that there was an inherent weakness to the inner part. You could maybe try that route with Pentax without suggesting that you hit it.
You haven't mentioned it so I'm assuming you don't have your kit insured, that would have made life easier.
I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble/cost.
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Gary,
no I don't have insurance on my kit. I've never had one....
The lens is definitely under the waranty from the seller (I only bought it some 2 months ago) but I haven't been sending any paperwork or registration cards anywhere. I think I'll go to the seller and see. There are no scratches or any marks on the outside of the lens. So I'll see what can I do....

BR
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whatever you do, don't force or move the focusing ring if there is any resistance. The focusing helicoid is held by 3 prongs if I am not mistaken and the likelihood is one or more of these has been damaged. If you force it, you run the risk of the lens coming apart. I say this because I have seen similar damage on a FA 77mm and some DA Limiteds. The lens can be repaired but I caution that the focusing ring might not be as smooth as before.

Best you send it to Pentax for a thorough assessment and repair. My local Pentax agent sent it back to Japan as they did not have the exact tools to repair the damaged FA 77mm that I saw. BTW such damage would not likely be covered by warranty. Best you start looking for a new padded bag...

04-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Peter I feel for ya ! It must ht the weak spot - like the 112 rocks that bounce off my windshield and then that pebble that hit's and creates a nice star chip. I dropped my DA* 50-135 (now here a $1500 lens!!!) and got lucky - landed on the filter and shattered that (best $50.00 I ever spent) , other than that it has performed flawlessly.

Warrently might be an option - all depends I guess. Hopefully the repair bill is not too much best of luck !
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my FA77 damaged while I was using it on my ME super and the focusing simply stuck at infinity, so I promptly sent it to the store and I had it back in a week and a half (they sent it to Japan) all I had to do is pay the freight and I'm happy now that I have it back...it's surprising how attached you get to these things.
04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! I feel for ya. I recently had a (careless clumsy & stupid) impact incident with the K20D & DA* 300mm. The lens seems ok (except for the hood) but the body had to go to the Pentax E.R.

I say sent it to Pentax--anything less is duct-tape.

04-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that, Peter.
I agree with Creampuff: don't force anything and send it to Pentax for repair.
Good luck!
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so far, so gooitd

So,
I went to Jessops and showed them that broken lens. To my surprise there were very few other questions asked and everything poceded swiftly. No problem, lens will be sent to Pentax unde waranty. Then suddenly, oh sorry computer is not letting me to process it. I'll have to call head office. Well, that scared me... I went to work and tried not to think about it. Within hour I had missed call on my mobile and message in my voicemail saying, sorry, it was computer glitch, everything is OK just bring the lens. So on my lunch I went back, I signed forms, and the lens was sent away, under warranty. I should hear back from them in around 2-3 weeks.

I have to say, that customer service was EXCELLENT. Much to my surprise... but it really was. Now I just have to wait... fingers crossed

BR
04-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
So,
I went to Jessops and showed them that broken lens. To my surprise there were very few other questions asked and everything poceded swiftly. No problem, lens will be sent to Pentax unde waranty. Then suddenly, oh sorry computer is not letting me to process it. I'll have to call head office. Well, that scared me... I went to work and tried not to think about it. Within hour I had missed call on my mobile and message in my voicemail saying, sorry, it was computer glitch, everything is OK just bring the lens. So on my lunch I went back, I signed forms, and the lens was sent away, under warranty. I should hear back from them in around 2-3 weeks.

I have to say, that customer service was EXCELLENT. Much to my surprise... but it really was. Now I just have to wait... fingers crossed

BR
Great news! Now delete all your posts where you admit that it was your fault!!!
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sometimes it's good to be lucky - Well done Peter -

My original K10 which I left in the trunk of the car during winter during one of our -40 evenings refused to power on the next day - after checking the obvious brought it back to where I purhcased it and it was repaired under warrenty - Not sure the cold evening had anything to do with it - but I gotta think it did not help.
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Great news! Now delete all your posts where you admit that it was your fault!!!
yeah, I might edit the OP