Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yeah and someone who shall remain unnamed has just made me remember that I had an interest in the Voigtlander 40mm SL II.
Damn!

The simple mention of that lens gets me every time. Why, why does it have to exist?

04-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #32
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The simple mention of that lens gets me every time. Why, why does it have to exist?

It seems I have inadvertently paid you back.
04-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Blatant thread jack.

Every time I get settled with my lens roadmap and finish grieving my decision to forgo just the three queens in favor of more (but really great) K lenses, Jay comes around with some 43 shots and it all starts again. [LATE EDIT. Forgot ]

Somehow, sometime, I have to meet you guys.
not meaning to make your life any harder but you could always come down the dark side and get a lineup of K, DA limited and FA limited. but then again thats why we all enjoy our own LBA challenges
04-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Same goes for the DA 70mm. Someone mentioned in another thread that it's small enough to not draw attention but has a long enough reach for a variety of situations. Funnily enough, when I was at the zoo last weekend, I could have sworn I was the only prime lens user aside from another Pentaxian shooting on film with a 135.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
It sure gets strange looks from all those long zoom users, which, BTW, is majority of DSLR users nowadays.

04-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Gary, sure that you have read all there is to know regarding Da 40 and 70

My main criticism regarding Da 70mm ltd is really its bokeh rendering not as good as fa 77mm ltd. Regardless of the dodgy testing shots of bokeh comparison of the two, I feel that Da 70mm f2.4 is just not as good as 77mm at f1.8

One more thing about Da 70mm is also its propensity to backfocus at f2.4 just like Fa 77mm ltd at f1.8

Pentax Da 70mm f2.4 Ltd gallery
04-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

James

I actually thought you were impressed with the DA70 with a few posts I have read.

Has something of late changed your view ?

Neil
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #37
Inactive Account

James, I don't know if I would consider that a 'criticism' since most lenses don't approach the 31/77 for bokeh quality wide open. Having said that, the DA 70 is a great "poor man's 77mm" (even though it's not THAT cheap) and image quality is definitely worth the price paid.

Rather than comparing the two, I'd just look at both and appreciate the IQ that both can crank out.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
My main criticism regarding Da 70mm ltd is really its bokeh rendering not as good as fa 77mm ltd. Regardless of the dodgy testing shots of bokeh comparison of the two, I feel that Da 70mm f2.4 is just not as good as 77mm at f1.8

04-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #38
Damn Brit

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it although sometimes it's easier to just buy and then live with your decision.
You have managed to sway me to the 70, I will be buying another lens to go with it but I have some more thinking to do before I decide on which one.

Thanks again.
04-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
James, I don't know if I would consider that a 'criticism' since most lenses don't approach the 31/77 for bokeh quality wide open. Having said that, the DA 70 is a great "poor man's 77mm" (even though it's not THAT cheap) and image quality is definitely worth the price paid.

Rather than comparing the two, I'd just look at both and appreciate the IQ that both can crank out.
Hehe

I am critical in the sense that being picky. The lens is more than good enough for any sort of application. I see advantage of this lens being a good limited on a km. My friend Voe is using this combination and having a blast with street photography.
04-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
James

I actually thought you were impressed with the DA70 with a few posts I have read.

Has something of late changed your view ?

Neil
Neil, I have never changed my view regarding this lens. I criticise all of my lenses and decided which one to keep over time. However, all the lenses I have tried and used so far are all good enough for my applications. I treat buying and selling lenses as part of my own hobby (I learnt this from Joel - the moderator here).

Relative to Fa 77mm ltd, Da 70mm rendering of bokeh is in deed inferior, predictable through real life application. I had yet had time to process my images from this lens yet. I will post the images when there is a minute.
04-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Hmmm........ took the 70mm for its first outing today, will post pics later. Images are good, there is no denying that but on first impression i prefer the 40mm for two reasons:
1. I just prefer 40mm focal length
2. size. The 40 with hood is much smaller than the 70.

I think I just need to 'see' in 70mm.

mike
04-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #42
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cast vote fo 40

Gary,

which ever ltd you'll choose...
certain mr. B. Dylan said it better: ...don't think twice, it's all right...

is it too late to change your mind to DA40?:

and I could go on and on and on...
seriously, looking back at past year, some of my very best shots were taken by DA40. And it's not just testament to IQ of the lens but to it's portability too. I've taken this lens to outings I wouldn't want to drag anything bigger with me and it rewarded me well...

go on Gary, get both
BR

Last edited by axl; 04-10-2009 at 05:35 AM.
04-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Gary, you have my sympathies, and good luck with your decision. I have also been looking at the 40 and the 70. What the heck, I have also been looking at the 43 and the 77. But isn't it nice to have these 4, from among many, to choose from? Great shots from jsherman999 trying to "pull you over to the 43", and equally great shots from Axl trying to "pull you back to the 40". I will celebrate my 66th birthday next month, and I think I will be "receiving" the 40.
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #44
Igilligan

Gary the offer for the DA 40 still stands

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it although sometimes it's easier to just buy and then live with your decision.
You have managed to sway me to the 70, I will be buying another lens to go with it but I have some more thinking to do before I decide on which one.

Thanks again.
I am up for loaning you my DA 40 for a week or two if you still would like. That way you will know if the DA 40 will be a nice match with your soon to be DA 70.

I am working weekends the whole month of May so I could swing it by your work or house... Or I could just bring it to the Eddie and the Hot Rods show

Let me know...

PS Axl... you are just showin' off... nice series

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-10-2009 at 11:01 AM.
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

FWIW, my take is that despite the view that the 40 and 35 are "completely different lenses", that's splitting hairs compared to the differences between either of these and the 70. A small difference in size or focus speed or maximum aperture or close focus distance is *nothing* compared to the difference in focal length between either of these and the 70. Night and day. If you've already got a 35 - any 35 - I'd go with the 70 first, no doubt. If I didn't already have a 35, I'd pick the 40 as the more generally useful, though.