Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

The DA limiteds lack the speed and maybe the resulting "3-D" effects that the higher apertures can bring, but they also provide some of the cleanest, most distortion-free, CA-free, colorful, edge<-->edge sharp, true-to-life images I've ever seen from a lens. They're truly modern optical designs, nearly perfect (except the DA 21mm limited does show some distortion.)

I've seen some street-shooting from the DA 40 ltd that just thrilled me, the colors seemed so nice, but not over-done. The DA 35ltd macro continues to amaze me in similar ways. Lately I've see stuff from the 21 & 70 on this forum that make me want those lenses badly (even though I own the M 20 f/4 and FA 77ltd.)

So the DAs do have their own magic.

04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
emr

I'm also very tempted by the 40mm pancake, even though I see FF capability as a factor. Just think about a DA 40mm ltd and a small(ish) body like K2000/K-M and what you have is a great camera closer to a P&S size. However, I personally would wait to see what the summer's Pentax camera release is until getting any expensive glass.
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm not considering the 31 or 77 LTD because I want to go small, for now.
I'm not considering the 21 LTD because it's too wide, for now.
I'm not considering the 35 LTD because I have the FA 35.
I'm not considering the 43 LTD because of price reasons (incase I buy two lenses)

That leaves the 40 LTD and 70 LTD. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that I will end up buying both of them. Just in case I end up with just the one, I'd appreciat the thoughts of my fellow forum members, thanks.
Buy 2 70s. Keep 1 give me the other. Problem solved. Instead just buy 2 of each.
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I'm also very tempted by the 40mm pancake, even though I see FF capability as a factor. Just think about a DA 40mm ltd and a small(ish) body like K2000/K-M and what you have is a great camera closer to a P&S size. However, I personally would wait to see what the summer's Pentax camera release is until getting any expensive glass.
You know the DA40 works on film too, right?

04-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

That leaves the 40 LTD and 70 LTD. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that I will end up buying both of them. Just in case I end up with just the one, I'd appreciat the thoughts of my fellow forum members, thanks.
Both are excellent lenses and very compact.
I'd recommend either or both to you (even though you aren't very nice to me sometimes)
04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You know the DA40 works on film too, right?
So-so according to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gary, I have both the 40 and 70 and they are both - in my view - outstanding. Frankly, and perhaps this sounds gratuitous, it's just a matter of focal length. Were I you (and still owned an FA 35), I'd go with the 70 - not because the 40 ain't great, but because you'd have more versatility with the FA35/DA 70 combination than with FA 35/DA 40.

But, in the end, get 'em all; I own a DA 21, 35 (my daughter now has my FA 35), 40 and 70 - unless the DA 15 has some egregious weakness, I'll own that one too (after Pentax gets a bit of practice making them).

Jer

04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA77 is tiny for its focal length. I would not trade it for a slower lens that is only a bit smaller.

The FA43 has the most incredible rendering of any lens I have used, though the K50/1.2 is giving it a run for its money. They are useful for different things, but both excellent.

So I'd get the FA77 and FA43... two of the choices you've eliminated.
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The great news is that there is no bad decision between these two! I opted for the FA 77 vs the DA 70, mainly because of speed (1.8 vs 2.4) but if I could do it again, I might go for the DA as it apparently has better AF speed?
In your case, I'd go for the 70 over the 40 as I think it would be better for concerts for two reasons, the focal length and the marginal edge of 2.4 over 2.8. Although the 70 is twice the size of the 40, let's not forget that we're only talking 1 inch vs 1/2 inch.
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If you can come up with the cash, then go for the 77--it would be a great "beautiful baby" lens. If you're stuck on getting a DA limited, then go for the 70, as it could also be used as a good baby lens.

Heather
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
Damn Brit

Thank you everyone for your comments.
To those of you who insisted on trying to push me towards the 43 and 77

I've got a couple of weeks to make my final decision. The 70 is a definite, I just need to decide whether or not to get the 40 at the same time.
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #27
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Both are excellent lenses and very compact.
I'd recommend either or both to you (even though you aren't very nice to me sometimes)
I didn't know you were so thin skinned.
04-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A different look from the DSLR Norm!

I've found using the DA40Ltd in my K200D with BG sure gives a "different" look from the growing norm of DSLR users! For a change, you see a "professional-looking" DSLR with a compact-camera-size lens that takes amazing shots It sure gets strange looks from all those long zoom users, which, BTW, is majority of DSLR users nowadays.

Since the norm these days seems to be "Bigger is better", I prefer to be the odd man out with my set up. Here are some shots of it (sorry for the quality of the photos. Took it using a digicam...). I took out the DA40's hood, used a step-up ring (49-52) as a mini-hood, and a normal lens cap. I think it comes out really cool and unique...

04-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The 40 and 70 will be excellent choices, but I still think the speed and rendering of the 43ltd should bring it into consideration again.
Blatant thread jack.

Every time I get settled with my lens roadmap and finish grieving my decision to forgo just the three queens in favor of more (but really great) K lenses, Jay comes around with some 43 shots and it all starts again. [LATE EDIT. Forgot ]

Somehow, sometime, I have to meet you guys.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #30
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Blatant thread jack.

Every time I get settled with my lens roadmap and finish grieving my decision to forgo just the three queens in favor of more (but really great) K lenses, Jay comes around with some 43 shots and it all starts again.
Yeah and someone who shall remain unnamed has just made me remember that I had an interest in the Voigtlander 40mm SL II.
Damn!