Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #1

shopping for a wide: 28mm SMC vs Takumar, or even a 21mm DA limited?!

LBA has taken hold of me :-) again.

At the moment I have the sigma 18-55 kit, 50mm SMC-M f1.7, and a Zenitar in the pipeline....

But i want a generic wide/normal angle for travel use. so the three at the topic are the candiates. being on a tight budget, i am more keen on either the SMC-M 28mm f2.8, or the Takumar 28mm f3.5 with an adapter. have ppl got much experience on these two in terms of quality?

i estimate the takumar to set me back around $200AUD including adapter, and the SMC-M probably around $80AUD shipped! of course, the DA limited would take the crown but at $600AUD, that is way out of budget for me.

which of these three would give me the most bang for my buck?

10-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoey

Here's the lens I sent you a PM about:

As I have two identical lenses, I'm open to a reasonable offer.
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5 lens and like it quite a bit. I did a lot of shooting with it in New York City last time I went. Feel free to check it out:
New York City Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Also a dedicated folder for the S-M-C takumar 28/3.5 is here:
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/28 Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
11-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the gallery, i have indeed bought the SMC takumar 28mm from tom, eagerly awaiting it now

btw i have seen your gallery thru a whole heap of google searches for the lens =) i am very impressed!

did you use the geunine M42 adapter or a ebay special? i bought mine from ebay so i hope its okay, since i have heard that some of them have too much thickness and wont focus to inifnity.....

also does this mean i have to stop-down meter?