Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #1

Is DA 50-200 a good choice ....

Hi all,

I am new here. I own a K100D 18-55mm lens kit, I would like to get a long zoom len.
Is DA 50-200 a good choice for taking pictures of fast moving toddler? That's pretty much what I use the camera for, taking pictures of my son. If not what would you recommend?
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

04-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as your toddler doesn't move faster than this.....

Or this......

.... you should be ok.

Shot with Samsung version of the 50-200 though, but its the same lens as the Pentax just different branding.
04-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

YES! Naturally a faster aperture lens would be better, but the DA 50-200 is a great little lens that should serve you well. And at just over $200 it's a steal for what you get.

Mike
04-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are shooting indoors, consider a bounce flash - makes a world of difference in my experience. I mainly shoot my two kids, and indoors find the DA 40mm to be the most useful lens. For outside use I like the F 35-70 zoom, although the DA is still good. I haven't tried the 50-200 lens, but would worry it might be too long. My thoughts!

04-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your info and sample. I am new to DSLR. How do I tell whether the lens is auto or manual focus other than the title? Some of them don't say auto.
04-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They are ALL Autofocus at this point...

QuoteOriginally posted by stsong Quote
Thank you all for your info and sample. I am new to DSLR. How do I tell whether the lens is auto or manual focus other than the title? Some of them don't say auto.
and I will +1 on the 50-200 as a great little lens. The 55-300 is also apparently very good, but quite a bit more money.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

I am new here. I own a K100D 18-55mm lens kit, I would like to get a long zoom len.
Is DA 50-200 a good choice for taking pictures of fast moving toddler? That's pretty much what I use the camera for, taking pictures of my son. If not what would you recommend?
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
In the summer, outdoors it should be fine! Inside, a bounce flash and any lens at f/5.6 will freeze the action and give you lots of depth of field to work in.

I used to be completely against flash shots, and shoot at f/1.4-f/1.8 indoors a lot to get low light shots, but you miss a lot because of the very thin depth of field (the amount that's in focus), so it's better to try the higher ISO settings and use something like f/2.8.

Some people say that the DA 40 is the fastest focusing lens available, so that's something to consider too. It's reasonably priced and sharp at its widest aperture (f/2.8).

QuoteOriginally posted by stsong:
DA, FA, D FA, and F lenses are auto focus.
A, lenses are manual focus, auto aperture. Sometimes you'll hear "P/K-A mount," and that refers to the A setting where you can set the aperture on the body
M, K lenses are manual focus only and require "stop down" metering (is there a green button on your k100D near the shutter?)
M42 lenses are screw mount and require an adapter.
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
M, K lenses are manual focus only and require "stop down" metering (is there a green button on your k100D near the shutter?)
On the K100d the AE-L button functions as the green button in M and A mode. Not having used any K or M series, I think the M42s are actually easier to use than the K/M since they pretty much only moved the aperture dial to the lens and there's no extra button to press.

04-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Da 55-200

My experience - with enough light (sunny outdoors or bounce flash indoors as recommended) this is another Pentax "great price/value) lens. Very sharp, very nice color rendition for a high-consumer lens. I switched to the 55-300 when it came out for sports/action, an equally worthy choice, if a bit more expensive.

Marc Langille uses the DA 50-200 regularly and spectacularly. Search for his photo threads for examples.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-08-2009 at 06:08 PM.
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

This was taken with the DA 50-200...

I'm sure some folks with toddlers have some good samples too. Sorry but my kids havn't been toddlers for a very long time.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
In the summer, outdoors it should be fine! Inside, a bounce flash and any lens at f/5.6 will freeze the action and give you lots of depth of field to work in.

I used to be completely against flash shots, and shoot at f/1.4-f/1.8 indoors a lot to get low light shots, but you miss a lot because of the very thin depth of field (the amount that's in focus), so it's better to try the higher ISO settings and use something like f/2.8.

Some people say that the DA 40 is the fastest focusing lens available, so that's something to consider too. It's reasonably priced and sharp at its widest aperture (f/2.8).

DA, FA, D FA, and F lenses are auto focus.
A, lenses are manual focus, auto aperture. Sometimes you'll hear "P/K-A mount," and that refers to the A setting where you can set the aperture on the body
Thank you for the valueable information, I really appreciate it.
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This was taken with the DA 50-200...

I'm sure some folks with toddlers have some good samples too. Sorry but my kids havn't been toddlers for a very long time.

Mike
That's an awesome picture. Which pentax did you take that with?
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My experience - with enough light (sunny outdoors or boubnce flash indoors as recommended) this is another Pentax "great price/vlale) lens. Very sharp, very nice color rendition for a high-consumer lens. I swithxced to the 55-300 whien it came out for sports/action, an equally worthy choice, if a bit more expensive.

Marc Langille uses the DA 50-200 regularly and spectacularly. Search for his photo threads for examples.
I will search for Marc, thank you for the info.
04-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

That's an awesome picture. Which pentax did you take that with?
Thanks. That was the K110D.
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks. That was the K110D.
But that's impossible! It doesn't shoot at 6fps and the AF is just too slow!