Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Help, I think there's something wrong with the focus mechanism on my new fa100mm!

I just got my DA100mm f/2.8 macro lens and I'm trying it out right now. I notice that when I manually focus, the focus ring stops at the infinity setting, but when I focus the other way way towards the closest focus setting the focus barrel does not stop, it keeps turning and turing even once it hits the closest setting! I've never seen this happen, is this normal.

It happens when the camera is either set to autofocus or manual.

04-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, is this normal? I've never used a lens where the focus ring kept rotating without stopping.
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The focus ring on my Pentax-M 50mm f/2 does this as well, but in both directions. I think it's just loose.
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aweir Quote
I just got my DA100mm f/2.8 macro lens and I'm trying it out right now. I notice that when I manually focus, the focus ring stops at the infinity setting, but when I focus the other way way towards the closest focus setting the focus barrel does not stop, it keeps turning and turing even once it hits the closest setting! I've never seen this happen, is this normal.

It happens when the camera is either set to autofocus or manual.
Many DA lenses have touch up focusing support - you can manually focus without turning off autofocus. There is just a slight change in the drag when you reach the end of focus and the ring keeps on turning and turning with no more effect.