Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice sought on 14mm lens swap

I have an opportunity to swap a Sigma EX 14mm f2.8 for a DA 14mm f2.8. What would be your advice given the following information:

Pros:
1. Sigma now no longer exhibits the focal plane shift at f5.6 after being sent off to Sigma Japan to get re-chipped.
2. In mint condition with nice case and all packaging etc as it came from factory.
3. Reasonably happy, here is a recent shot:

4. Is full frame 35mm lens.
5. Lovely EX build quality comparable to * lens.

Cons:
1. Big and heavy.
2. Huge bulbous front element catches sun easily, must remember to shade lens from sun, even if effect is not visible in viewfinder.
3. Not a Pentax lens.

Pentax DA14 is second hand appears to be in good to excellent condition, has no case, box or manuals.

Hoping someone who has used both lenses can give me an answer.

Thanks and have a happy Easter break.

04-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

If you're really happy with the Sigma, then I wouldn't see big point swapping the lenses. For sure Pentax lens is Pentax lens but still.
The only reason would be if DA14 would be producing better resolution figures. But since I'm not sure about that I can't really give you advice...
04-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, it has been my favorite lens for about a year. Now I am starting to miss it a little

Here is my gallery for Da 14mm images

Pentax Da 14mm f2.8

A versatile lens in deed. But it is prone to flare and suffers poor contrast until f4 onwards

04-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you need to ask yourself what has made you look at the chance of such a swap.

If its because your not 100% happy with what you have then go ahead as most reports I have read favour the Pentax DA 14mm,

Neil

04-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This made me consider the swap:

1. Very impressed by DA14 shots posted here.
2. Not had any wow photos from this lens. Maybe I don't compose well in ultra wide.
3. I like Pentax lenses more than Sigma lenses.
04-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Selar

I dont have the da 14, but I am a Pentax person when it comes to lenses and agree like yourself with the posts I have seen thus far of this lens. Some of the shots James has taken have really impressed me.

I think you have more to gain than lose by making the swap.

It really gets down to your own decision.
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Yeah horrible. I mourn for ye. =p

04-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Yes, it has been my favorite lens for about a year. Now I am starting to miss it a little
Hmm, I interpreted this as meaning the Sigma was your favorite and that you missed it compared to the DA 14. Perhaps this is not the case.

Damn those articles and their non-specificity.

Also, what aperture was the (awesome) photo taken at? ND filter?
04-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my DA 14, but more for the wide-angle aspect than for the fact that it's pentax. The one thing to consider is if the Sigma has more distortion than the DA. If it does, I'd switch out for the DA. If not, I'd keep the Sigma. I'd kill to have a 14mm Full-frame for my film camera
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On my full frame film body, if I am not careful, my feet appear in the shot.
04-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

I love my DA14

It is hard for me to tell on my computer, but on my screen, it appears that your shot isn't very sharp. Is it focusing to infinity properly? Does it sharpen up if you stop it down? Do you think you got a bad copy?

Regarding your reasoning:
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
This made me consider the swap:

1. Very impressed by DA14 shots posted here.
You can't go by what is posted on this website. Some photographers here are so good they can take museum quality photos with my daughter's Vtech Kidizoom camera (which is an awesome toy).

2. Not had any wow photos from this lens. Maybe I don't compose well in ultra wide.
This is a good reason to switch. For the amount of money that the Sigma costs, you should be very satisfied with your lens's results.

Like you are saying though, maybe you just need more practice shooting ultra-wide. In my opinion, shooting ultra-wide is very difficult. Many people think they can just throw on a lens and they turn into Ansel Adams. Most of my keeper landscapes are shot with a 28mm or 35mm, not with my DA14mm. But, every now and then when I get the DA14mm just right, it is a stunner. I believe it is definitely a lens you need to spend some time with. I think ultra-wides are very hard to become proficient in, but when you master them, well, you've seen some of the photos on this website.

Have you thought about one of the wide-angle zooms? It would let you compose your shot easier. Plus, most go wider, giving you the potential to produce more dramatic shots.

3. I like Pentax lenses more than Sigma lenses.
You really have to judge each lens on its own merits. I would feel way cooler shooting with a huge white Canon L lens, but if a Samyang outperforms it, you have to go with the Samyang. Plus, didn't you say you like the quality of the EX lenses?

I have never used the Sigma, but I am very happy with my DA14.
The nice thing about the Pentax is it focuses so close. It's great for taking crazy closeups of people, dogs, etc. I use it more for portraits than landscapes.

One thing, doesn't the Sigma cost quite a bit more than the DA14? I would think you could sell the Sigma, buy the Pentax, and have some money left over.