Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

need Advice

I am looking for some opinions about if i should sell a lens. I currently own a Takumar 105 f2.8 and a Takumar 120 f2.8, the question is would you sell the 120? They both are very good lens but the 120 is fairly rare so would that influence your decision to keep it? Both lens cover the same distances as far as focus range as well. So again I ask for opinions what would you do?

04-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IYou should only sell that lens if it was to me at a give away price.

Last edited by xjjohnno; 04-09-2009 at 05:37 AM.
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best reason to sell a lens is if you don't use it and aren't just collecting.

This advice is a lot easier to give than follow. When I try to tell myself the same thing, I start thinking "but I got it for a good price so it's not costing me much to own it" or "I know I'll use it eventually when I sort out my kit" or something along those lines.

A very good 135mm such as the K135/2.5 makes the 120mm into a very specialized hair-splitting lens. A good zoom does the same.
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The best reason to sell a lens is if you don't use it and aren't just collecting.

This advice is a lot easier to give than follow. When I try to tell myself the same thing, I start thinking "but I got it for a good price so it's not costing me much to own it" or "I know I'll use it eventually when I sort out my kit" or something along those lines.

A very good 135mm such as the K135/2.5 makes the 120mm into a very specialized hair-splitting lens. A good zoom does the same.
I know I have both a Tak and the K 135 as well and the 55-300 so I have the range completely covered its just I have got to the point that I like all my lens and have a hard time selling any but I probably should but the urge to keep is hard to overcome sometimes

04-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
... its just I have got to the point that I like all my lens and have a hard time selling any but I probably should but the urge to keep is hard to overcome sometimes
Exactly. I have a lot of nerve suggeting others sell, when I can't always do it. I like having them too.

I really should sell my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105mm f2.8 because I rarely use it. I just took it on a trip but only used it twice, more than I've used it in a year.
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This may sound silly but have you thought of buying a camera just for the 120? You could call it a fixed lens Spotmatic and give it a whole new purpose! I nearly bought a wall-flower Spotmatic at a recent camera show for just $20 - the ones that have been around the block a few times are certainly cheap these days. Yours could be a loaner camera for a daughter, cousin, nephew, etc. or you could keep it in your car or backpack.
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're not using it, sell it, IMO.

I'd do some boring tests first to see which one you prefer - sharpness, CA, distortion. If the 120 isn't significantly better, sell it.