Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Query about genuine PK-M42 adapter

I've just bought a cheapy PK->M42 adapter and find it sits proud of the K mount by about half a millimetre.
Can anyone here with a genuine Pentax adapter have a look at theirs and let me know if the genuine one is dead flush with the mount, please?

04-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2

There are 2 types of aftermarket M42 adapters, the one you bought will give you issue at infinite focus. The other type looks the same as the OEM pentax adapter, it seats flat with the mount, i am using it, no issue at all. Different between OEM and aftermarket is that OEM doesn't require any tool to attach or remove it. Aftermarket comes with a little tool for you to remove it or tighten it. so it's really up to you. of course most people will go for the OEM. you can search "M42 adapter" in the forum, there were alot of discussion it already.
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

By "proud" I assume you mean protrudes?

My genuine adapter on my K100D actually sits down recessed in the mount by about 1mm.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
I've just bought a cheapy PK->M42 adapter and find it sits proud of the K mount by about half a millimetre.
Can anyone here with a genuine Pentax adapter have a look at theirs and let me know if the genuine one is dead flush with the mount, please?
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
By "proud" I assume you mean protrudes?
That's exactly what I mean.

QuoteQuote:
My genuine adapter on my K100D actually sits down recessed in the mount by about 1mm.
Thanks for the information - precisely what I needed to know. Time to shell out for the real thing, then.
I'm fairly sure the cheapy is robbing me of infinity on a couple of lenses - not by much, but enough.

04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
There are 2 types of aftermarket M42 adapters, the one you bought will give you issue at infinite focus. The other type looks the same as the OEM pentax adapter, it seats flat with the mount, i am using it, no issue at all. Different between OEM and aftermarket is that OEM doesn't require any tool to attach or remove it. Aftermarket comes with a little tool for you to remove it or tighten it. so it's really up to you. of course most people will go for the OEM. you can search "M42 adapter" in the forum, there were alot of discussion it already.
Ah no, the adapter I have is the same as the OEM one, but uses the tool - which I don't have an issue with. What I didn't expect was that it would poke out from the mount by ~0.5mm.
I'll spring for a genuine one and modify this one as a spare.
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great, glad I could help!

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
That's exactly what I mean.

Thanks for the information - precisely what I needed to know. Time to shell out for the real thing, then.
I'm fairly sure the cheapy is robbing me of infinity on a couple of lenses - not by much, but enough.
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just want to add my voice to the Get the Official One Chorus. Tried a 1/3 the price one. Sent it right back within an hour! The official one works.

04-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #8

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

That's the only good one...