Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Question : are we allowed to buy on Amazon.com from Canada ? If yes, what taxes shall I add to the price ?

04-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have the answer to my question : it is possible, but they charge 99 $US for shipping, which cancels all the benefit of buying it there...
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Furansu Quote
Thank you guys for your replies : but I can't buy one in knowing that just one week ago it was 100 $CAD less.
But you'd have had no argument if the price went *down* $100 in a week, I assume?

If I were you, I'd take advantage of the opportunity before it too goes away. As others have said, this price increase was announced and discussed weeks ago, so I wouldn't assume this is just a fluke that will reverse itself in a few days.
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Furansu Quote
I have the answer to my question : it is possible, but they charge 99 $US for shipping, which cancels all the benefit of buying it there...

I don't think Amazon ships electronics to Canada. Cameras and lenses fall in that category too. I wish they did.

04-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ive just had a similar experience here in the UK.
The 50-135 was priced at 479, $861 Can and $702 USA a few months ago.

I just paid 500, 898 Can and $732 USA for one, delivered tomorrow with luck!

But the Tamron 70-200 has gone up from 489, $878 Can or $ 716 USA to 649, $1,166 Can or $951 USA.
That's a damn big jump!

Word is, that's just the start of big rises in 'luxury goods' or, stand by to be ripped off!
04-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Hi all

I am genuinely sorry to hear about some of the astronomic price rises that are occurring across the pond in Canada, but as one of our previous British prime ministers Harold Macmillan once famously said: "we have never had it so good"……unfortunately that was in 1957 and not 2009 !
Clearly most of these price hikes are directly due to the devastating effect of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, which has caused international currency exchange rates to fluctuate so wildly.
By comparison with today's pricing, since I purchased my Tamron 18-250mm back in July 2007 it has increased by only 45.00, whilst my Sigma 10-20mm has increased by a not inconsiderable 100.00.……ouch !
It will be interesting to see what effect these price hikes have on Pentax's market share and whether their immediate competitors will follow suit (assuming that Canikon haven't done so already !), but it seems more than likely that the era of bargain DSLR's & lenses is well and truly over for the foreseeable future !

Best regards
Richard
04-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
... As others have said, this price increase was announced and discussed weeks ago, so I wouldn't assume this is just a fluke that will reverse itself in a few days.
My fault : I didn't come for a long time on this forum lately...
04-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
I don't think Amazon ships electronics to Canada. Cameras and lenses fall in that category too. I wish they did.
Well, at first that's what I thought because Amazon.ca exists. I finally tried to see by myself : I logged in with my canadian account on the Amazon.com, and I was able to reach the page before putting the order : it has accepted everything, the lense, my canadian credit card, my adress in canada, and on the bill they added automatically the shipping to Canada which raises with the price of the article you buy : in my case 99 $US. It is good to know for another oppotunity.

About one year ago, I have contacted Amazon.ca to ask them why they have no Pentax product on their site compared to Amazon.com which has everything.
They told me that it will come little by little (I would say very little by very little, because today, they're still not able to provide not even one piece of Pentax), and apparently, they forgot to mention that I could order on Amazon.com.