Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Awesome shots, Ro! Maybe I'll get a hold of one of these sometime...but for now the economy dictates that I continue with my trusty Sigma 105mm f/2.8

The 2nd photo is my favourite. Was is it? Some kind of Ladybird?
Sigma 105mm macro is a good performer. You will be very impressed by it. I tend to consider modern sigma lenses having less than optimal shadow colour in rendering.

Lady bug you mean? I asked some insect guy saying that it is a common south eastern lady bug. The name is too long for me to remember

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I consider the 125 to be the best lens available for K mount. I had the 180 too but I sold it because of the insanely stiff focusing ring and because the f4 aperture made the VF dim and it was hard to focus the lens. The 125 is a breeze to focus otoh.
Andrea, glad to see you here. You have this lens too and it is surely a blessing to own this lens as a photographer. I have even used it for travel as a medium tele lens. The lens is just a tad heavy to carry. Otherwise, it would be just perfect.

I have tried f8 to f11 with flash work using this lens. Some lastolite reflector can brighten up the background with nice colour with razor sharp details on the bugs being photographed. So it is not a bad thing to try out

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those shots are just too striking. Some credit probably even goes to the photographer!

I always kick myself for not picking up one of the last copies of the 125/2.5 while it was still available from CameraQuest. Oh well, live and learn.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the compliment. Few months ago, I heard rumour that there will be a new batch of 125 macro to be released. Now I think it is not likely at all as there is a plan for Cosina to release all the skopar pancake lenses into the market.

04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I love this lens too..

George, this shot rocks! I love the clinicap sharpness against mellowy soft bokeh there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Fabulous, some lenses are pure artwork
This lens is simply wonderful. The 2nd hand pricing is coming down lately from 1200 US to 800 US or so. This lens is more popular in the Nikon world.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yeah I'm kicking myself too....especially since the Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro planar on goes down to 1:2 and is nearly three times the price.
Zeiss 100mm f2 macro is a little plasticky in its rendering to my taste. The price of Zeiss 50mm f2 macro in AIS mount is also quite steep. I did not get it a while back because it is also 1:2 macro capability only.
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #18

I will own this lens one day. I have the 90, and it is a joy to use.
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Zeiss 100mm f2 macro is a little plasticky in its rendering to my taste. The price of Zeiss 50mm f2 macro in AIS mount is also quite steep. I did not get it a while back because it is also 1:2 macro capability only.
from my experience, most Carl Zeiss lenses are like that Roentarre. But you have to give Zeiss credit, at least they are consistent with each lens they make. The funny thing is that these days Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses are really Cosina products in drag...

04-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

This is an image I took earlier on this year. ISO 800 with aperture wide open f2.5

Here is the 100% crop of the hoverfly

The colour is rich and the bokeh is stunning. Good lens for macro shooting after all.

VL 125mm macro images

It has been sitting on the shelf for too long
That's pretty impressive! Pity you let it rest on the shelf
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
Forum Member

This is surely a good lens and I see that a lot of copies are being sold in the marketplace.

Roentarre, BEAUTifully executed. I am not doing justice to this lens (hardly any good ones to show now).

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I love this lens too..

Gawan, Love this shot!
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
from my experience, most Carl Zeiss lenses are like that Roentarre. But you have to give Zeiss credit, at least they are consistent with each lens they make. The funny thing is that these days Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses are really Cosina products in drag...
In my ignorance I said to a wiser friend "but Voigtlander is just Cosina in disguise!" he said "yeah, and who do you think makes Zeiss?"

Gotta hand it to Kobayashi-san, he sure knows what a quality lens should be.

04-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know, life can be so disillusioning at times...
04-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Congratulations for all your great photos.

The 125/2.5 is indeed a great lens.

Here a few shots from sunday:

04-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
Zav
Pentaxian

Probably the best piece of glass I've ever used!

And I love using it as a short tele!
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #26

SL II? Is it or is it not in manufacturing nowadays?
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes it was discontinued a few years back...probably the shortest period of production for any lens. and because of that it commands a high price on the markets due to it's rarity and it's absolutely superb optics.
05-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #28

Just wondered because wikipedia listed it under SL as a cooperation with cosina or something and then that they ended that line when cosina started making lenses for zeiss and then they had a new sl II line but the macro was listed under the first sl line.

So I thought that maybe they had brought it back in the new sl II line.