Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA When does it end?

I just bought a set of lenses with money that probably should have gone elsewhere. Got an A24-50 , A35-105 and a M50 macro from a gentleman in Fl.
I find myself buying , trying and selling a lot of lenses since switching to Pentax. From what I've read here on the forums these lenses should give me th IQ that I want(sure hope so). I still need something to satisfy my 300mm craving and it would be nice to have AF. Problem is I still feel I need more and I'm only finding the optical quality I want in older manual focus glass. I thought it would be easy to put together a 3 lens kit with Auto Focus Full Frame lenses that have GREAT IQ , covering 24 to 300mm focal lenghts
If anyone knows of a specifc set of lenses that don't cost thousands , have great IQ , are AF , work on digital & film and cover the wide side of normal to long telephoto please clue me in. I can't afford my lens buying habits.

04-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

LBA lessens the more you go out and shoot
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
<snip> If anyone knows of a specifc set of lenses that don't cost thousands , have great IQ , are AF , work on digital & film and cover the wide side of normal to long telephoto please clue me in. <snip>.

Ummm the only advice I can give you on this request is totally illegal - but I feel you pain (want a 300mm F4 myself - the others I have covered and yep most were not cheap)
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When does LBA end?

You ARE joking, right? LBA is chronic, insidious, intractable, and quite possibly terminal.

04-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

LBA ends upon death or dismemberment, not before. Get used to it.
04-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
lba lessens the more you go out and shoot
great advice!
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set a date

Any regular reader of this Forum is highly likely to contract Lens Buying Addiction at some point. LBA is a self-diagnosing condition. Pain threshold levels are self-determined.

Treatment for LBA
  1. Pick a date x months hence (your tolerance level)
  2. Keep a record of the lens you use every time you shoot
  3. If a lens isn't used within that period, sell the lens.
If necessary, take the Pledge

(Of course, all the treatment does is open up places in your bags for more lenses. You have to sell the bags, too).

Last edited by monochrome; 04-10-2009 at 11:28 AM.
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
LBA ends upon death or dismemberment, not before. Get used to it.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Any regular reader of this Forum is highly likely to contract Lens Buying Addiction at some point. LBA is a self-diagnosing condition. Pain threshold levels are self-determined.

Treatment for LBA
  1. Pick a date x months hence (your tolerance level)
  2. Keep a record of the lens you use every time you shoot
  3. If a lens isn't used within that period, sell the lens.
If necessary, take the Pledge
04-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

I hope it never ends - it's one of my main reasons to live!
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In the words of Bill Walton, "You can't stop LBA, you can only hope to contain it!"
04-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

I'm not too sure if it works that way Diego. The more I go out, the more I think what lenses would do good in this or that situation...

as for OP's question. there are two possible answers:
1) when you'll get married just kidding, my wife doesn't like me spending too much but she understands that it's severe condition

2) when you'll switch to Canon. Their lenses are so expensive that I wouldn't want to buy any of them

now, let's be serious, LBA gets cured when you will be happy with pictures you are taking with the lenses you have. This can happen but, you'll be very lucky if it actually does. As for me, I've been in Pentax nation for 2.5 years and in that time I bought or co-bought 3 DSLRs 2 flashes and 10 lenses (I'm not counting DA18-55 which came as a kit). Out of those I still own 2 bodies, 2 flashes, and 7 lenses (+kit). Any signs of curing? Well my shopping list at the moment includes another flashgun, 21 or 24mm lens, 70 or 77 or 85 mm lens, and thinking of 50-135 or 60-250 or 70/80-200 lens, and maybe TC, plus decen CPL and maybe ND filter(s).

So long story put short,

GOOD LUCK
but if you'll fail to cure it, don't worry, you'll enojoy it

BR
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LBA When does it end? Two weeks after you die.

I have a slew of lenses, as my signature attests. I have taken the odd successful bird shot - usually with M 400 and A 1.4X-S converter, but that is working with a 560mm f/8 lens. If it were not for the shotgun sight on the lens hood, I would never be able to find a bird with that rig.

Then, of course, I get the images on the old PC and notice the CA and PF and the shake reduction just is not enough at 1/30 ... and I NEED a 400/2.8 FA*.

The Chancelloress of the Exchequer disagrees. I must concede that she has a point when it comes to leaky windows, but it's Spring, and we open them anyway so they don't need changing right now, do they?
04-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
LBA When does it end? Two weeks after you die.
I earlier said, upon death or dismemberment. That is incorrect. It should have bee, upon death AND dismemberment. Only when my cold, dead hands are cut from my body and incinerated separately, will they stop reaching for Yet Another Lens. Why has nobody yet documented the tragedy of LBA zombies, ceaselessly shuffling and shambling and moaning for MOAR LENSES, MOAR LENSES ???
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

If you order a lens they day before you die . . . they could be showing up well after the funeral.

As far as when it ends, that may depend on several factors such as spouse tolerance., However, it the spouse suffers from LBA, it will be like to alcoholics living together.
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

The craziest example of LBA is that you already have that exact prime focal length and aperture...you know it's the top rated one out there....but you still want to buy the exact same thing from another manufacturer that you KNOW to be either almost comparable or clearly inferior based on reviews.

But it's cool looking. Or made in Russia. Or 10 bucks off.

The other example is losing sleep about a 20mm on eBay, and you already own one of the world's best and rarest 18mm's.