Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Altering a Ricoh Tokina 28mm to fit an ist DS

Here are the tools I used to alter the lens that took this picture:

I knew that when my cheaply bought ebay find of a Ricoh Tokina 28mm lens arrived I would have to removed a small pin (You can see it on the precision screwdriver set) but I did not realize the "fin" on the lens mount (goes inside the body around where the aperture control is.) would need to be cut down to fit my camera.

But, since it was so cheap, I decided, why not break out the hack saw? I removed the pin, cut away the excess, using pliers to break bits away, and then the rasp on the Gerber tool to smooth it out. Works like a charm.

I am wondering what kind of pictures it will take. At any rate, not too bad for an ebay auction where all I had to go on was a picture of the side of the lens and a description that it fit a Ricoh camera. There was no other information. Took a chance.

slinky

Last edited by mediaslinky; 04-12-2007 at 07:37 PM.
04-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
Here are the tools I used to alter the lens that took this picture:

I knew that when my cheaply bought ebay find of a Ricoh Tokina 28mm lens arrived I would have to removed a small pin (You can see it on the precision screwdriver set) but I did not realize the "fin" on the lens mount (goes inside the body around where the aperture control is.) would need to be cut down to fit my camera.

But, since it was so cheap, I decided, why not break out the hack saw? I removed the pin, cut away the excess, using pliers to break bits away, and then the rasp on the Gerber tool to smooth it out. Works like a charm.

I am wondering what kind of pictures it will take. At any rate, not too bad for an ebay auction where all I had to go on was a picture of the side of the lens and a description that it fit a Ricoh camera. There was no other information. Took a chance.

slinky
Talk about measured hatred for the Ricoh Pin haha. Glad to hear it all worked out ok. Hows the lens?

Nice photo by the way! :P
04-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Tokina 28 is that? Just by chance I posted some pics with a screwmount 28mm F2.8 RMC II here Yours probably has the same optical formula with newer mounting.

Lack of coatings can make it flare badly but I like it's small size and pretty rendering and the crop factor makes it a fastish (compared to the 16-45 walk around zoom) 42mm angle of view which I like.

04-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have an RMC II 28mm as well but K-Mount. Unfortunately the aperture's little sticky.

04-13-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pete, the aperture in mine was completely gummed up when I bought it and so I nearly gave up on it but have learned to partially strip it and use acetone on the blades with a cotton tip. The problem is abating as less grease leaks on to it between each time I strip it.

One day i will take the thing completely apart and take out all the old grease and replace it but while I can do the clean up in a half hour it is not worth the trouble of possibly ruining it completely.

Would love to see some images if you can manage any.
04-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Which Tokina 28 is that? Just by chance I posted some pics with a screwmount 28mm F2.8 RMC II here Yours probably has the same optical formula with newer mounting.

Lack of coatings can make it flare badly but I like it's small size and pretty rendering and the crop factor makes it a fastish (compared to the 16-45 walk around zoom) 42mm angle of view which I like.
To be honest, I don't know. It just says Tokina and 1:2.8. Serial number 8701038. The front lens is 49mm diameter. The mount says it's a "PK-A-R-P/K" which I think means the aperture used to be auto on a Ricoh, but I am still trying to see if the camera can make the aperture move. I doubt it can. But, I can use Av and the camera adjusts the shutter, so something is happening there.

I will snap a few more images today.

Last edited by mediaslinky; 04-13-2007 at 12:42 PM.
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Pete, the aperture in mine was completely gummed up when I bought it and so I nearly gave up on it but have learned to partially strip it and use acetone on the blades with a cotton tip. The problem is abating as less grease leaks on to it between each time I strip it.

One day i will take the thing completely apart and take out all the old grease and replace it but while I can do the clean up in a half hour it is not worth the trouble of possibly ruining it completely.

Would love to see some images if you can manage any.
I can't make out any grease on the blades. I was thinking either that there's a bit of oil or that the stop down spring is a little weak.
04-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
It says Tokina and 1:2.8. Serial number 8701038. The front lens is 49mm diameter. The mount says it's a "PK-A-R-P/K" which I think means the aperture used to be auto on a Ricoh,
...or Pentax. It should work just like a Pentax A series lens on your camera. Set it to "A", there is a little button on the aperture control ring you have to hold down to do this, and try it in any exposure mode.
I have a Tokina 100-300, a Vivitar Series 1 70-210, and a Dine 100mm Macro that all work this way.

04-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I have been playing a bit. Hope to shot some photos and see what it can do.
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have a Tokina 24mm that had a slow aperture. I took it apart and couldn't see any grease, the spring was reallt weak though. I replaced the spring with another I had that was stronger and I was in buisness.