Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar series 1 70-210 vs modern tele lenses

I've been using (and loving) the Vivitar 70-210 series 1 (first version) for many months now. I cannot believe the richness of the colours it produces, and it is quite sharp past f4.

However, there are times when I wish for AF. Plus the wife does NOT want to learn to use MF lenses. So I've been looking at modern AF tele lenses like the Sigma 70-300 APO DG.

Has anyone had any experience with both types of lenses (not necessarily the Sigma, just comparable lenses in this category).

I think what I want to know is : what would I miss if I switched from the Vivitar to another lens?Keeping both is a possible solution, but I'm not likely to CARRY both at the same time, and convenience dictates that I should carry the most modern lens most of the time if I do switch.

Any input will be useful.

04-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have what I consider a good selection of lenses now but my favourite (and most used) lens is a Tamron 70-210mm Adaptall 2 19AH f3.5 which is probably on a par with the Series 1 Vivitars.

I think the older lenses just give a much nicer looking picture than the new ones and learning to manual focus is something I think everyone should have a go at.
04-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've been using (and loving) the Vivitar 70-210 series 1
I think what I want to know is : what would I miss if I switched from the Vivitar to another lens?Keeping both is a possible solution, but I'm not likely to CARRY both at the same time, and convenience dictates that I should carry the most modern lens most of the time if I do switch.

Any input will be useful.
I played with one of those many years ago as part of a set of Nikon mount lenses I took over in a job. They are a very decent lens but in my view not that special. At the time I also had a Pentax A 70-210, which was better in terms of tonal rendition, particularly highights. much better for flare control, and equal for sharpness.

I've been using a Sigma 70-300 (not the latest one) occasionally. My impression is that it equals the Vivitar where the focal lengths overlap (at least at mid apertures) but is mediocre as it gets toward 300mm. Works pretty well although it has a nasty plasticky feel when zooming.