Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adaptall-2 Mount for Pentax-ES

Hi All, I am looking to purchase this adapter, but not sure how it works & hope I can get some help. Does the spinning gear that sticks out in a lump on the side works like an Auto/Manual switch found on most of the M42 lens, which allow the lens to stop down metering in M + green button or Av modes.

Thanks
David

04-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PM sent re: an extra mount available.

The gear functions as part of the aperture ring on an Adaptall lens, and is part of the mechanism that locks the Adaptall mount onto the lens.

To mount and unmount the adapter, you must first open the aperture to f/2.5. Then, matching the green dots on the adapter and the lens, gently press the adapter into the lens and rotate the adapter clockwise (with the rear of the lens facing down).

A small black ear or tab extends from the geared ring that drives the geared wheel. As you rotate the adapter this ring engages the locking mechanism and another silver "tab" clicks and pops out when the adapter is correctly mounted.

Changing the aperture by thumbing the black tab also engages and moves this ring, and moves the aperture lever with the ring. Setting the aperture to f/32 engages AE on lenses so equipped.

The silver geared wheel serves the same function as aperture detents on a self-contained lens.

Removing the adapter is just the opposite - set the aperture to 2.5, depress the silver ear on the locking mechanism, rotate the mount counter-clockwise (when the rear of the lens is facing up) and dismount the adapter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.
04-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Paul, Thanks for your quick posted and help. I will reply to your PM.

David
04-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Hi All, I am looking to purchase this adapter, but not sure how it works & hope I can get some help. Does the spinning gear that sticks out in a lump on the side works like an Auto/Manual switch found on most of the M42 lens, which allow the lens to stop down metering in M + green button or Av modes.

Thanks
David
David: If you plan to use your Adaptall lens with a K-mount camera, you need a PK/A adapter. This adapter retro-fits these lenses to screwmount bodies.

Paul

04-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This adapter is specifically to enable full aperture metering on the Spotmatic F and ES/ES-II cameras. There is no particular advantage of having this mount for a K mount body.

As Paul said, you're better off with a PK/A (expensive!) or a regular PK adaptall. The PK adaptall works like a K-M lens.

Neither the regular M42 adaptall nor the P/ES adaptall have an A/M switch, so their use with K mount cameras is limited. (I learnt this the dumb way: I mounted one with the M42/K adapter, and then wondered why I was getting everything wide open... sheepishly, I went back to put on a proper K adaptall...)

Here the P/ES adaptall, mounting a 52bb 90/2.5 on the ES-II.
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This adapter is specifically to enable full aperture metering on the Spotmatic F and ES/ES-II cameras. There is no particular advantage of having this mount for a K mount body.

As Paul said, you're better off with a PK/A (expensive!) or a regular PK adaptall. The PK adaptall works like a K-M lens.

Neither the regular M42 adaptall nor the P/ES adaptall have an A/M switch, so their use with K mount cameras is limited. (I learnt this the dumb way: I mounted one with the M42/K adapter, and then wondered why I was getting everything wide open... sheepishly, I went back to put on a proper K adaptall...)
Nesster; Thank you for the information, I will not pursuit of getting this ES Mount adapter. However, I do have an Adaptall2 lens on the way and come with the regular adaptall to M42 mount, I will try to “fix” the pin on the adapter and see if I can stop down metering on a K10d. I shoot most with the M42 lenses and it would be little easier to have another lens with the same mount.

Thanks
David