Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Help - can't remove lens from my K2000

I put an older prospec auto-zoom 60-300mm lens on my K2000 today and can't remove it. The release button is depressed and has no spring action and the lens has a little movement but wont twist to the left to release.

The camera is less than a month old. Is this a result of the lens or does my camera have a faulty release??

Can anyone shed some light on this??

Thanks
Charlie

04-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not familiar with that lens, but is it possible that it's a Ricoh mount? They can sometimes jam.
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some non-Pentax lenses have a pin that gets trapped in the autofocus screw drive of the body. Try to toggle the autofocus/manual focus button and wiggle the lens off.
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh, oh, ....does it say anything like Pentax/Ricoh or PK/R on it? Ricoh cameras used a K-mount with a little pin right where the AF socket goes on the Pentax AF bodies, ...these lens pins can get stuck in that hole. I'm not sure what the best mentod of removal might be, if so, but I gather there are a couple of options.

04-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
It says KR on the aperture ring.
How do I "toggle" the switch? with the camera on?
04-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd say, yes with the camera on.

Also, a flat feeler gauge can be used to slide between the mount of the camera and the lens mount to move the "Ricoh pin" out of the screw drive.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by CSSLDR Quote
It says KR on the aperture ring.
How do I "toggle" the switch? with the camera on?
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
jem

I fell into that trap too with a PK/R POS zoom when I first got my K20D and was working through my lens collection. I used a very thin automotive feeler gauge to get the pin unstuck. See this link for where the offending pin is located on your lens: ricoh-lenses-on-pentax-cameras-ricoh Note the pin location in relation to the aperture button. You will need to slide the feeler gauge into that location between the body and the lens while gently rocking the lens back and forth. Once the gauge is under the pin the lens should release.

Hopefully that will do it for you. If so, now sell the lens.

Good luck!
John

Last edited by jem; 04-13-2009 at 07:03 AM.
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks John, Thanks everybody - No luck though
I don't have the right tools to do this. Tried it with a razor blade - too dangerous.
I 'm not sure where the pin is. That's the problem.

Charlie
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #9

My first manual lens purchase was almost a disaster. It was a P/KAR mount which got jammed in my camera.

There were only two available information found at that time in the internet. One was to locate the pin and depress it with a super-thin feeler gauge but that didn't work. The other advice was to destroy the lens with a drill. It was too destructive an option for me and I considered it only as a last resort.

I experimented with a less invasive option and it worked for me. See here for tip on how to remove the lens without destroying it. Let me know your results if ever you would follow down this path.

Alex
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
jem

Charlie,
As you discovered, a razor blade is too thick. You should be able to get a set of flat feeler gauges at a local auto parts store. Look for something like this: Automotive Feeler Gauge.

Ok I'll try to describe where the pin is. Place the camera on it's back with the lens facing up. Make sure the aperture ring is locked in the A (automatic) position. Now rotate the camera until the aperture ring release button (next to the A on your aperture ring) is at the 12:00 position as you look down at the lens/camera. The pin that is hanging you up is between the 5:00 and 6:00 position. That is where you will insert the feeler gauge.

Alex,
Nice read and very creative solution with the Dremel tool. I managed with the feeler gauge trick with some lens wiggling and lots of cussing. I've since disabled all my Ricoh pin traps. I have noted that each 3rd party lens manufacturer did the pins differently. The really thin ones seem to be the most prone to snagging.

Last edited by jem; 04-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.
04-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
You mean the lens release on the camera or the button on the lens aperture?
04-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The button on the lens aperture.
04-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
The button on the lens aperture.
Bought a feeler guage this morning - came right off.

Thank you so very much.

I have some brassing on the camera mount near the AF coupler - from the razor, I guess. What damage if any , could I have done? Should I Send for Pentax to check out?

Everything appears to work . The AF coupler works(up and down) but I'm not sure what the original position was? It appears to be rectangular at the top and is sitting almost horizontal.

I'll use it and see what happens.
04-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
jem

Argh! My bad - I meant the aperture button. No wonder I confused you. I edited my earlier notes so I don't confuse anyone else.

Anyway, glad the feeler gauge trick worked for you!

Best,
John

Last edited by jem; 04-13-2009 at 07:04 AM.