Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

j, your nikon 35, is it a dx or fx lens

(i'd do a quick search but im at work...cant surf much)

04-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
j, your nikon 35, is it a dx or fx lens

(i'd do a quick search but im at work...cant surf much)
I'm obviously not Jay, but I can answer this anyway: the Nikkor 35/1.8 is a DX lens. Nikon also makes a 35/2 that is FX (but not AF-S).

Last edited by RBellavance; 04-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
04-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
No, the lens is performing optimally, as far as I can tell - I only have one sample of the lens, of course, but my output is matching or better than other full-sized image samples I've been able to download from dpreview and elsewhere.
Jay, I didn't really think the lens was a dog. Of course, I don't think all things were equal. I would venture to say that if they were, people would have a difficult time telling the difference between the two. That shot of the Carcassonne text seems to really paint the lens as a dog. That's why I don't believe all was equal. Very nice shots by the way.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's always easier to retrieve detail from darker shot than get back burnt highlights.BR
Mostly true. But it depends on how over or underexposed you are. You really have to drag the highlights back in ACR from a D90 image to believe just how much detail it preserves. It really does perform very well. Of course, if you are consistently over or underexposing your images to your dislike, you really need to learn more about photography. And the crazy thing is, you don't have to learn that much. I really don't understand why people keep pointing to this. Before I got my K20D, I read everywhere about how people were annoyed (some overjoyed) that it underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop. I thought, that's no big deal AT ALL. All of these enthusiast level cameras have the ability to set the EV to plus/minus whatever the photographer feels like. If you don't like the underexposure of the K20D (and it is to an extent a matter of taste) you just adjust the EV setting. The D90 is no different. It is so easy to set it. There's an EV button right next to the top display. You push it and adjust it to taste. If people are overexposing and getting ticked about it, they simply need to check out their camera's basic abilities. I really feel like this is a silly argument for or against these cameras. You can get very good exposure results from both, and it's a matter of a VERY SIMPLE adjustment. And quit knocking the D90's blown highlights until you pull them back yourself in ACR. You'll poop your pants. After adjusting many images in ACR taken with a K110D, K200D, and K20D, and then adjusting images from a D90, I was pretty blown away by the D90's preserved highlight details. It performs very well. They didn't make a dud of a camera by any means.
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brucestrange Quote
Mostly true. But it depends on how over or underexposed you are. You really have to drag the highlights back in ACR from a D90 image to believe just how much detail it preserves. It really does perform very well. Of course, if you are consistently over or underexposing your images to your dislike, you really need to learn more about photography. And the crazy thing is, you don't have to learn that much. I really don't understand why people keep pointing to this. Before I got my K20D, I read everywhere about how people were annoyed (some overjoyed) that it underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop. I thought, that's no big deal AT ALL. All of these enthusiast level cameras have the ability to set the EV to plus/minus whatever the photographer feels like. If you don't like the underexposure of the K20D (and it is to an extent a matter of taste) you just adjust the EV setting. The D90 is no different. It is so easy to set it. There's an EV button right next to the top display. You push it and adjust it to taste. If people are overexposing and getting ticked about it, they simply need to check out their camera's basic abilities. I really feel like this is a silly argument for or against these cameras. You can get very good exposure results from both, and it's a matter of a VERY SIMPLE adjustment. And quit knocking the D90's blown highlights until you pull them back yourself in ACR. You'll poop your pants. After adjusting many images in ACR taken with a K110D, K200D, and K20D, and then adjusting images from a D90, I was pretty blown away by the D90's preserved highlight details. It performs very well. They didn't make a dud of a camera by any means.

No, it's by no means a dud of a camera, and the highlight details can mostly be pulled back with ACR - it's more of an annoyance with me than anything, because to get the most out of the D90 I have to shoot RAW now and work to recover highlights. With the K20D, not so - I can shoot jpeg all day long and do minimal PP to get the look I like.

I can and do adjust EV with the D90, also, but that sometimes causes matrix metering to underexpose too much depending on the lighting, in which case I have to drop it into center-weighted, which defeats the purpose of having matrix.

Again, not too much of a problem if I'm shooting RAW.

So, no show-stoppers, just annoyances that cramp my personal shooting style. (and other's, judging by all the negative comments on dpreview re matrix metering.)

04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A tale of 4 crocuses

One crocus, actually, from 4 very different lenses. Just for the heck of it.

(traditionally the 1st flower that pops up in my yard, so it gets shot a million times
before the rabbits eat it.)

Nikon 35 1.8 G at f/2.8:

Sigma 100-300 f/4 at 300mm wide-open minimum distance:

next 3 - DA 35 2.8 at f/2.8:

Cosina 55 1.2 wide-open (yes, I bought another)

04-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yikes ! I thought the Nikkor's bokeh was ugly until I got to the photos made with the Cosina
04-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
eye of the beholder

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Yikes ! I thought the Nikkor's bokeh was ugly until I got to the photos made with the Cosina

UGLY!? It's beautiful!

04-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #38
Forum Member

No, it's by no means a dud of a camera, and the highlight details can mostly be pulled back with ACR - it's more of an annoyance with me than anything, because to get the most out of the D90 I have to shoot RAW now and work to recover highlights. With the K20D, not so - I can shoot jpeg all day long and do minimal PP to get the look I like.

I can and do adjust EV with the D90, also, but that sometimes causes matrix metering to underexpose too much depending on the lighting, in which case I have to drop it into center-weighted, which defeats the purpose of having matrix.

Again, not too much of a problem if I'm shooting RAW.

So, no show-stoppers, just annoyances that cramp my personal shooting style. (and other's, judging by all the negative comments on dpreview re matrix metering.)
To each his or her own, I guess. I shoot exclusively in RAW and manual mode, and I actually really enjoy PP in ACR. It's part of the fun for me. Rarely is a photo done after I've pushed the shutter button. I like pushing and pulling various aspects of the photo to my liking.
04-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

UGLY!? It's beautiful!

I agree! A very "painteresque" effect to it.
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

the cosina's bokeh is....mesmerizing....
04-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Dude, it's 1.2, practically the gaping eye of hell. If you're not into extreme bokeh, nothing at that aperture is going to be satisfying.
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
Dude, it's 1.2, practically the gaping eye of hell. If you're not into extreme bokeh, nothing at that aperture is going to be satisfying.

ROFL.

Here's a few more from the Gaping Eye of Hell taken this evening. Avert
your eyes and say a couple Hail Mary's.

04-17-2009, 04:49 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! That's quite funny!

Though not true. I have the Cosina and hate the bokeh. I also have the K50/1.2 and love the bokeh. They are night and day. The Cosina can be quite sharp, however, and is good value.

But bokeh is definitely in the eye of the beholder. All the Russian lenses and the Cosina with the dancing swirling effects at the "gaping eye of hell" -- those I can do without.
04-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

To each his own, I guess. That bokeh is so busy it almost makes me dizzy I'm more into the smooth, buttery kind.