Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yea its getting tough on all fronts for the Pentaxian. Even ebay prices, used M42 and K lenses have increased substantially and even doubled for some makes.

Especially for those w/o jobs, on student budgets, this is just about the death knell for any future purchases locally, especially new product. Time to go grab the last of the legacy glass while they still exist and pray this price insanity is only momentary...

..or I suppose on the bright side, maybe Pentax is doing us a favour. They are reminding us of why we are Pentaxians and not to get sidetracked with Lens Lust. lol.

Lets go out and take pics...with that Sears/Vivitar/Ricoh/Rokinon/Takumar/Tair-11 135/2.8 prime and forget about DA*50-135. LoL

04-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I've had Pentax equipment since 1968 when I bought my first SLR, a Pentax S1a.

I got a couple of Bushnell lenses with the M42 mount ...to save some bucks over getting Pentax Takumar lenses...what a waste of money that was....should of spent the extra money for Takumar lenses. Since then I always buy Takumar or Pentax lenses for Pentax cameras.

In '74 or '75 I bought a new Pentax ES 11...the top Pentax camera...but it was the last to have the M42 screw mount.

When I bought it...I had looked at the Nikon Photomic F...almost got that...it was $ 100 more then, but the price didn't deter me as much as the dim viewfinder compared to the Pentax ES 11.

A short while after Pentax brought out the new K bayonet mount. I wished I had known back then. If I had , I would of bought a new Pentax K2 or Pentax KX..probably a K2.

But the ES 11 worked out well...a fine camera I still have. In almost mint shape, except for a bit of brassing.

I then started using my wife's K1000 that she had chosen independently and bought for her use, before we were married.

We still have and a couple of years after we were married I bought the legendary Pentax 35-105 Macro Zoom A lens...which I still use, attached to my newly acquired KM.

I also picked up a Takumar 50 macro and a Takumar 28mm Wide Angle...all K bayonets. All good.

Fast forward to about 2006....I'm looking at getting a digital SLR. I did not like the Pentax ist...to the point that I started to seriously consider that maybe this was the time to divest myself out of Pentax and go with either a Nikon D200 or a Canon 30D and start my new system all over...after almost 40 years.

But then I heard and read rumours about the new Pentax...the K10D that was supposed to come out. I waited.

I'm glad I did...I am very pleased...more than pleased with the quality of picture that my K10D, with it's 55-300 Pentax , 16-45 and 50 mm f1.4 Pentax produce.

I generally take pictures of wildlife and special interest cars...the one's I like I blow up to 8 X 10....some of them are astounding...that's not my comment...those are from viewers.

I can't imagine how the pix could get much better. This from a guy (me) who also has Mamiya medium format and Leica rangefinder among my film equipment.

I intend to stick with my digital Pentax system...so far two digital bodies and a whole bunch of lenses.

Canon and Nikon are fine systems but checking out my buddies' photos with Nikon or Canon...I don't see any valid argument for changing systems..for what I do.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-21-2009 at 07:20 AM.
04-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Dropped into Henry's here in Waterloo today. $1,800 Cdn. + tax for the DA* 50~135 was a bit of an eye-opener to say the least. The sales guys are having a tough time moving Pentax stuff at these prices. When I asked why the big increase they said it was the decline in the Candian dollar. I guess I should have bought that lens a year ago. It's out of reach now. Fortunatley I've got lots of old glass to keep me occupied.

Tom G
04-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The prices at Prodigital looks normal.
eBay Store - Prodigital2000: Pentax: NEW PENTAX DA 50-200MM f 4-5.6 ED LENS F K2000 K20D

04-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
No, the prices there are all $100-200 higher for DA*200, DA*300 and DA 10-17 that I've bought in the last few months. I got my DA*50-135 last year from them for $800 CDN, which looks insanely cheap now. Almost every accessory I see there, AF540 flashes, DA 16-45, DA*16-50, DA 35 Macro has gone up. Even the DA 50-200 was only $150 awhile back, I think.
04-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Over time, lens prices are guaranteed to go up. I have bought several lenses from Prodigital 2000 due to their rock bottom prices, but I knew that they were bound to rise eventually. I bought what I could afford earlier in the year, but some day they will raise prices again, it is just the law of inflation. I think Pentax made the decision to raise prices a lot at one time, rather than doing several incremental small increases, but it sure made the prices jump.

On the full frame question, I think that Pentax will release a full frame camera sometime in the next year to year and a half. I am not particularly interested. The size of a film negative is an arbitrary size and why it is the "holy grail" of digital cameras is not clear to me. I like the current size of APS-C and will stay with it for the time being.
04-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #37
Site Supporter

jake123,
I just bought the DA 12-24 second hand last week, locally, through this forum. On the same day there were at least 3 of them on sale on the forum. Which makes me think there will be a few more on offer over the next few weeks. The going price from US and Canada sellers last week was $500US.

If I knew a few weeks ago what I know now about the forum I would have bought the two DA lenses I bought new on the forum instead.
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #38
nah

There was an article in pop photography a couple of months back that weighed FF vs APS-c. The conclusion was that FF wasn't needed and the APS-C had more advantages at this time. When I get a chance, I'll scan the article.