Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Pentax lens with modified mount

Hello.

I found a good offer on a Pentax lens but the original owner removed the little plastic thing next to the aperture lever so he could use it on Canon DSLR cameras.

I am sure you know which part is missing, right? He assures that this change doesnt affect the functionality of the lens, but what do you think about it? Whats the real function of that plastic little part?

Thanks in advance.

04-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax lenses have a plastic protection below the aperture lever to protect it from getting bent. As far as I know, this protection piece makes it impossible to mount the lens to a Canon, so it has to come off. As long as the aperture level itself is o.k. the lens should function normally.

Ben
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be more concerned about the condition of the rear element -- is that dust or fungus? Inside or outside? How about the rest of the glass?
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Pentax lenses have a plastic protection below the aperture lever to protect it from getting bent. As far as I know, this protection piece makes it impossible to mount the lens to a Canon, so it has to come off. As long as the aperture level itself is o.k. the lens should function normally.

Ben
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I would be more concerned about the condition of the rear element -- is that dust or fungus? Inside or outside? How about the rest of the glass?
Yes, I need to ask him about that, not sure what it is. Anyway, I probably wont buy the lens but the missing part just made me curious and I wanted to ask.

Thanks!

04-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Ben
I think I have read about Canonites shortening the aperture levers as well. It doesn't look like this lever has been shortened.

The protection is also a light shield. It's a belt-and-suspenders thing, somewhere between good design practice and overkill. Some third-party lenses don't have it. You could make a substitute or borrow from a parts lens.