Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Lens Hood for new 18-55mm Pentax lens

Just bought a Pentax KM which comes with the new 18-55 kit lens...think Pentax refers to it as the 'L'. This is not the 18-55 kit you find say on a 200D.

Not sure how good the lens is, but as I have plenty of good Pentax lenses...this might retire to a shelf.

I haven't used it yet...I want to slap no a filter and most importantly get a lens hood. It doesn't come with one.

What would you recommend...I don't want to pay too much for a lens hood as until I use this lens...I'm thinking it might not meet the quality expectations I have from my other Pentax lens, such as my 55-300, 16-45 and 50, f1.4.

So what should I use ?

Also am I being unfair to the kit lens that comes with the KM ?

04-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Optically it is the normal Pentax kit lens, nothing inferior for the K-m. The only difference is, that is has more plastic and no metall (mount) anymopre, to cut down in weight (that's the official reason) and probably a few Pence in production cost. The images I have seen so far from that lens on my partner's K-m are very good and not different from the kit lenses I have been trying in the past. And the Pentax variety is really among the best in this category.

Ben
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Optically it is the normal Pentax kit lens, nothing inferior for the K-m. The only difference is, that is has more plastic and no metall (mount) anymopre, to cut down in weight (that's the official reason) and probably a few Pence in production cost. The images I have seen so far from that lens on my partner's K-m are very good and not different from the kit lenses I have been trying in the past. And the Pentax variety is really among the best in this category.

Ben
Thanks Ben for sharing your experience on the performance of the lens...in retrospect iy may be the plastic lens mount on the lens...that does bug me. I'm glad the KM has a metal lens mount on the camera.

Do you know of any cheaper lens hood for the 18-55 L model or does the lens work OK without a lens hood ?
04-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Damn Brit

In bright sunshine or in other brightly lit conditions, you will be better off with a hood to prevent flare.

04-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The proper petal type bayonet-mount hood for the DA and DAL 18-55 lenses is the Pentax PH-RBA Lens Hood, available from B&H for $19.95, stock number PELH1855. You can get a less expensive generic round 49mm screw-in hood but it may vignette the image at short focal lengths.

It's unfortunate that Pentax chose not to include this hood with the K-m/K2000 kit - new users may not realize the importance of using a hood unless they happen to see a Forum post like this one. ;<)
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
The proper petal type bayonet-mount hood for the DA and DAL 18-55 lenses is the Pentax PH-RBA Lens Hood, available from B&H for $19.95, stock number PELH1855. You can get a less expensive generic round 49mm screw-in hood but it may vignette the image at short focal lengths.

It's unfortunate that Pentax chose not to include this hood with the K-m/K2000 kit - new users may not realize the importance of using a hood unless they happen to see a Forum post like this one. ;<)
Thanks, I've found lens hoods useful in my 40 + years of photography. I never thought about your point that including a lens hood to stress the importance of combating flare, etc. to new photographers. I think given that Pentax is aiming this combo at new DSLR photographers...you're right they should of included it and explained the reason you should use it.

BTW..thank you for the part #.
04-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks Ben for sharing your experience on the performance of the lens...in retrospect iy may be the plastic lens mount on the lens...that does bug me. I'm glad the KM has a metal lens mount on the camera.

Do you know of any cheaper lens hood for the 18-55 L model or does the lens work OK without a lens hood ?
You will find screw-in petal style lens hoods on ebay for a couple of USD plus a small shipping fee. The original Pentax hood costs 50% of the whole lens over here and that is just ridiculous...

I was suspicious of the plastic lens mount, too. But for the occasional photographer that is fine, I guess. It may be plastic, but I find it not too flimsy.

Ben