Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
low light children portraits... DA 40 LTD pancake or Fa 50 1.4?

As some of you know I have been exploring window light portraits, mostly with children.
I was wondering which of these two lenses, since they are around the same price, would you recommend for this type of work?
speed is important of course, but so is sharpness at wide open. since it is children and there faces are usually blemish free, the sharper the better IMHO. ( I would rather put a mild skin softening in photoshop then to have to sharpen)
as to be considered are amount of background blurr and bohken (sp?)

any and all input welcome!

thanks everyone

randy

04-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Personally I'd use the 50. May not be as sharp @ 1.4, but I'm willing to bet at 1.7 or 2.0 its as sharp, which still gives you a boost over the 40/2.8 - plus the 50 will be easier to Manually focus if you need to with the bigger focusing ring.

Just my opinion of course.
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't take many portraits, and don't have any fast lenses, but it seems to me that you wouldn't be using the lens at 1.4 very often for a portrait because the DOF would be two small. You start getting into the problems of one eye being sharp and the other not, etc. A lot of people use the 50 for portraits, so I'd probably go with that one.

Carol
04-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Definitely the 50. I rarely use it at f/1.4 anyway because of the short DOF (unless I want in focus eyes and an out of focus nose and ears). I find f/2 or f/2.8 to be a perfect DOF for portraits.