Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Lots of suggestions in this thread. Here's my two cents - cuz you asked.

If you want a light zoom that's f2.8 or better and has great IQ - the Tamron 28-75mm is ideal. The focal range is perfect for taking shots of the kids (I have two young girls myself and this lens meets all my needs).

If you don't want a zoom...

FA35 f2 - if you will be shooting indoors a lot/mostly.
DA35 macro - if you will be shooting indoors a lot/mostly and "maybe" want to fool around with macro toe/finger shots, etc.

If you're not sold on an AF lens and likely will only use AF sparingly...I would suggest the FA50 1.4. Cheap, incredible IQ, low light use, small, light, amazing bokeh, etc., etc. You just can't go wrong with this lens - it's amazing and a total steal for the price.

Other's have suggested the DA40 also. I haven't used this lens for any great extent, but I personally find it too small to use/fiddle with (and I'm not a big person). Again, it's a great lens for a relatively low cost.

Any of these suggestions would work great. Find the focal length that you think would work best and buy away!

c[_]

04-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You people are making this very difficult...Tamron 28-70 or the DA 40 / 70. I'm going to go to my local overpriced camera store and see if I can test these lenses out.
04-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #48
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
You people are making this very difficult...Tamron 28-70 or the DA 40 / 70. I'm going to go to my local overpriced camera store and see if I can test these lenses out.
One more vote for the Tamron 28-75. I was reviewing photos I took wide open with it the other day - it's really, really sharp. Better performance than most Takumars.

Balances really well on the K10D without a grip. Works great on film bodies too.
04-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
One more vote for the Tamron 28-75. I was reviewing photos I took wide open with it the other day - it's really, really sharp. Better performance than most Takumars.
I dont think the color is up there with the takumar though. The Tamron's got those cold tamron colors, which I also like but not as poppy as the tak imo.

That might be just my fascination with Takumar speaking, but I feel that way anyway

04-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Didn't get a chance to test the Tammy but took a few test shots with the 40 & 70 ltds and the 50-135 ltd. She liked all of them and didn't seem to mind the weight of the 50-135 as long as she didn't have carry it all day.

Thing is, i (we) have to thing long term here. Something that we can use when our girl's a baby and when she's 3 years old running around. Now the 40/70 combo might not cut it when playing in the park but the 50-135 will...and damn that lens was suweeet! One thing that bugs me about the 50-135 is the friggin size....I'll look like I'm compensating for something I always sed at people with their oversized zooms while I was using a tiny takumar and now I'm going to be one of those guys...anyway...it's not about me...it's about the wife
04-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't be so sure the 70 wouldn't be useful in the park, although to be sure it won't be ideal if she's 20 meters away. But in that setting, you probably don't need an f/2.8 lens, and you might find the DA55-300 more palatable. At f/8 or so I doubt the 50-135 would beat it by enough to matter.
04-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #52
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I dont think the color is up there with the takumar though. The Tamron's got those cold tamron colors, which I also like but not as poppy as the tak imo.

That might be just my fascination with Takumar speaking, but I feel that way anyway
I misspoke, I should've said better sharpness than most Takumars in my post. I agree with you, I prefer the Takumars for color and image overall and have a good collection of them as well.

But the 28-75 is very user-friendly, AF, and has good performance/price ratio.
04-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went against the Tammy and DA ltd options and went the 50-135. Too big...probably, expensive...yes. but when a usually frugal wife says i like the big one...you get the big one! Even if I need the Tammy later, for $300 it's doable.

The 40/70 combo would have been great, especially for any street shooting I did in the future but what's why I've got my Tak's for. The 50-135 will be great for portraits and general shooting of my child for many years to come. I also have a concert to shoot in June where it will come handy

Again, thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

04-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Nice decision ... from all account that is a stellar lens with prime lens IQ from a zoom .. so you really can't go wrong.
04-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I would go for any lens between 21mm and 35mm. Currently, I use 35/2.8 macro which is an easy to use lens with great BQ, IQ and portability. However, mind that the choice of a lens for a specific job is rather a personal matter... If your wife has the tendency to shoot from close distance, at narrow alleys, crowdie places, indoors etc. 21mm might look a better choice... if she likes to shoot from a relatively longer distances she might prefer to use 43, 50, 70 or 77. But since you mentioned that your wife is not that familiar with photography in general, a 35mm lens would make sense since it comprise a fare compromise until she will discover what her preferences...are
04-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member

You do ofcourse realise you could buy a Rollieflex for that cash, figmental?
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
You do ofcourse realise you could buy a Rollieflex for that cash, figmental?
It pains me too in a way, think of all the Takumar's I could have bought! Anyway, hopefully the lens will pay for itself with the photos I take plus the odd photo related job I get.

Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase Zewrak
04-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #58

Looks like a good choice... not the portable setup you were thinking of.... but if the wife says ok to a 50-135... can't complain about that can you...

Have fun with it... that lense is definitely on my future lense plan.

Cheers
Shang
04-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, she seems pretty happy and so am I, cheers!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions, she seems pretty happy and so am I, cheers!
I note that it is not all metal. And I cant see no m42 thread.

Grats on a good lens I am sure. And on getting a kid aswell. Years and years of pain and misery to come. Mine is 3.5 years now. The early morning agony never ends.