Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Broke Tak

Just got my M42 adapter for my K10D. Took some pics with my 55 1.8 Super Tak of my second broke 55 Tak. How do I fix?

Name:  Tak 005.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  Tak 006.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  33.7 KB

04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose "it's not supposed to be like that" is helpful. I'm not sure how it got that way. The focus ring ought to be loose now; it should be attached to the half with the helix and lens elements. You'll probably need to take off the trim ring (part that says "Super Takumar"). It unscews using the filter threads.

I have some photos of similar lenses and how they go together. I can post them tomorrow to help you figure this out.
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I suppose "it's not supposed to be like that" is helpful. I'm not sure how it got that way. The focus ring ought to be loose now; it should be attached to the half with the helix and lens elements. You'll probably need to take off the trim ring (part that says "Super Takumar"). It unscews using the filter threads.

I have some photos of similar lenses and how they go together. I can post them tomorrow to help you figure this out.
Thanks guy!

It happened many years ago. Was focusing and it went WAY to far.

But the one that works takes great pics!
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the lens I have (S-M-C Tak 50/1.4) I still can't quite figure out how your lens came apart.

Anyway, in order to see what's going on, you will need to take off the name/trim ring like I said before. Make sure the filter threads are dirt-free and have no dents. Use a friction tool that can grip the ring without touching the front element. A screw-mount rear cap is the right diameter, but it needs to have a rubber grippy surface where it touches the trim ring. People have used crutch tips, rubber stoppers or chair leg protectors too. When you get that off, remove the three small screws holding the filter ring on. My lens looks like this with the filter ring removed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KKOf-A1--zUhE3JTMgKEzg?feat=directlink

The green arrows point to where the filter ring screws attached. The red arrows point to screws holding the focus ring to the brass ring. This brass ring has threads on the inside for the focusing helix (large aluminum threads in your photo) and outside fine-pitch threads that screw into the barrel. As far as I can tell, the inside threads were unscrewed too far. On my lens, two stops prevent that from happening. The focus ring has a notch in it that engages a stop screw in the lens barrel. The screw is marked here with a green arrow:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yJJgTsr4-oGbODb3zj7MPg?feat=directlink

Green arrows here mark the ends of the notch:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D6crj-sqjybWLCDNxNwwOw?feat=directlink

Also I can't unscrew the brass ring beyond a certain point. There must be another stop I can't see, and I'm not going to try that hard to find it either. Your lens is different; maybe the second stop is a newer feature.

I would proceed like this: take off the three screws holding the focus ring to the brass ring and remove the focus ring. Look for the focus stop screw like my photo shows. If it is missing or sheared off, you should replace it so that stop works.* Unscrew the brass ring so that it projects as far forward from the lens barrel as possible while still having its threads engaged, or at its internal stop if your lens has one.

You may be able to rethread the focus helix back onto the lens body now. These threads usually have multiple entry points and only one is correct. The only one I've taken apart had three starting points, 120º apart. I tried all of them and used the one that got the lens to go back together the best. Just set the helix on the brass ring and turn the ring. Remember to reset the brass ring before each new attempt.

If you manage to get everything together you'll have to reset infinity focus upon reassembly.

*The stop screw is half-obscured by the DOF scale ring. Three tiny grub screws hold this ring on. If you remove it, be careful that the aperture ring doesn't slide off too. A 2mm ball bearing is trapped between the aperture ring and the barrel, and it's easy to lose.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 04-14-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add direct links to photos in case embedding fails
04-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #5

Here is my 1.8, 55mm Super Tak. There is a screw, visible directly above the orange arrow, that limits how far the focus ring turns in either way.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3554/3446278464_b7ac6b7ff7_b.jpg