Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoods for Pentax Primes

I am planning to play outdoors more with my primes now that the weather is finally relenting. I recently went bananas on primes and ended up with an FA 50mm f1.4, F 50mm f1.7 (on order), M 50mm f1.4 and 1.7, and a Super Tak 55mm f1.8.

As none of them has a hood, I am thinking of accessorizing them. Should I look for hoods specific to each lens, or just go by the filter diameter which is 49mm for all of them?

BTW, the lenses are for use on a K20D.

Thanks much.

Seenu

Last edited by EsBee; 04-14-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Update
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One hood will do for all of those. get a "standard" hood from B+H for example...recomended for 50mm lenses. make sure you order it in 49mm size.

I would advise you to always use one when shooting, as the hood will cut down on stray light entering the lens. Digital cameras are more prone to stray light flattening an image, and as the coatings on the lenses you have are good, they were never designed for digital and so wont be as good as a "made for digital" coating.

The hood also offers some lens protection.
04-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specific hoods for these lenses are designed for their film field of view. If you use them on APS-C (digital) you can use hoods designed for longer lenses. For example, the hood for the S-M-C Takumar 135mm f3.5 works fine on a 50mm lens used on APS-C format. If you are still using film, it is easier to just use original-size hoods than maintain two hood systems. You might give up a bit of performance in extreme conditions but some hood is better than none.

Convenience is a big factor in my hood use. I'm trying to use hoods that not only work, but store well and quickly. Often the original hood is the best for this too. With older lenses, the hood is the most likely accessory to disappear. You have to spend some time and money tracking them down, possibly too much of either. There are some good aftermarket hoods too.
04-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have one of those cheap rubber collapsible hoods on my fa50 and its great.

quick question: what's with all the 50s ?

04-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I don't know, a case of focused LBA perhaps?
04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Is there a hood that fits inside the attached hood on the FA31 prime?
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stoge Quote
Same question here

04-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The question is whether you are able to dismount original hood (31mm Limited)or not - i wasn't....
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I recently went bananas on primes and ended up with an FA 50mm f1.4, F 50mm f1.7 (on order), M 50mm f1.4 and 1.7, and a Super Tak 55mm f1.8.

Seenu
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Hey you gi me dat FA 50 reet kneeyow.

Some people only have one 50mm lens and you got four o' dem.

Just kidding.
04-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Hey you gi me dat FA 50 reet kneeyow.

Some people only have one 50mm lens and you got four o' dem.

Just kidding.
No worries. The Ems are tucked away for now because the FA is pulling most of the weight. I do think the Ems can serve others better so I may just throw them on to the Marketplace one of these days, except the Super Tak which I think is out of this world when you get the focus right so I'll hang on to it for a bit longer.

BTW, among the different 55mm Taks, which is considered the best? I'd think SMC but only because I don't have it.
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
BTW, among the different 55mm Taks, which is considered the best? I'd think SMC but only because I don't have it.
I have heard a couple of people rave about the metal focus ring Super-Takumar 1.8 compared to the rest. I believe they are all optically the same from Super-Takumar through the K versions. I have had all of them, and really did not see any difference in casual comparisons. The f2 versions have a ring installed which limits the maximum aperture. I kept the K55/1.8 and sold the rest. With careful shopping you can collect them all for cheap.
04-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stoge Quote
Yes there is. I got a great hood that fits pefectly inside the (quirky but hopeless) fixed hood. Heliopan is the manufacturer, I will try and dig out the exact details and post here.
04-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See this thread for pictures of the Heliopan hood. get the short, metal version in 58mm thread. It fits perfectly and you can use a pinch cap on it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33808-heliopan...ed-lenses.html