Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jsherman999:I have the AF ED IF version of the 180 2.8, and I also have the MF 105 2.5 AI-S.
Jay, that 105 has reached cult status in Nikkor land and was/is one of the main reasons I want to try the Nikkor glass on Pentax bodies.

QuoteQuote:
jsherman999: The 105 is supposed to be one of the be-all end-all MF Nikkors for portraits, but I've gotten better output from both my M 100 2.8 and 105 tak.
Though I must admit, your above comment has taken some of the suspense out of it for me.

04-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Jay, that 105 has reached cult status in Nikkor land and was/is one of the main reasons I want to try the Nikkor glass on Pentax bodies.

Though I must admit, your above comment has taken some of the suspense out of it for me.

Well, I haven't really put it through it's paces yet, probably.

I'll withhold judgement on the Nikkor 105 until after the Spring flowers come up here and after I get some more portrait work in with it...

Here are a couple shots from the 105 Nikkor on the D90 - I'll be trying it on the K20D now once I verify that it's not going to do any damage.

04-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jay, that 105 has reached cult status in Nikkor land and was/is one of the main reasons I want to try the Nikkor glass on Pentax bodies
This 105?

It's a fantastic lens, contrasty and sharp edge to edge, easy to focus too:

04-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This 105?

It's a fantastic lens, contrasty and sharp edge to edge, easy to focus too:

No, I have the newer AI-S version.

I want to verify - AI-S lenses can be mounted, but no couplings are actually functional, correct? For example, green-button stop-down metering does not work?

04-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
AI-S lenses can be mounted, but no couplings are actually functional, correct? For example, green-button stop-down metering does not work?
That's correct. The 180mm 1:2.8 mentioned in the original post is Ai-S.

There are no couplings. You need to stop down the lens manually using the lens's aperture ring. Av mode is the easiest.

Do not try to mount Nikon lenses on Pentax film body. You may bend the mechanical stop-down coupler/indicator.
04-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
SoldBear: This 105?
Yes sir, that's my baby!

QuoteQuote:
jsherman999: No, I have the newer AI-S version.
I believe they are very similar optical formula, if not identical. Actually, at the moment, my memory leans towards identical--minus midern Af and what not, of course.
04-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I believe they are very similar optical formula, if not identical. Actually, at the moment, my memory leans towards identical--minus midern Af and what not, of course.
The lens pictured on SOldBear's post seems to be the old uncoated Nikkor-P, which is a Sonnar type lens (5 elements in 3 groups). In 1972, Nikon switched to a 5 elements in 4 groups Gauss optical design, which is reputedly better -- I only have the new type, so I cannot compare between both models. Shortly after, Nikon launched the mutlicoated Nikkor-PC. The new lens is easily recognized because it has a 1m minimum focus distance, vs. 1.2m for the old Sonnar type lens. All the subsequent models of the 105/2.5 (AI, AIS) retained the same 5 element/4 group optical formula as the Nikkor-PC. More info here:
Medium Long Lenses For Nikon 'F' Mount

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 04-15-2009 at 01:43 AM.
04-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

That nikon lens is simply amazing. I saw Voe using this lens for a while. The contrast and colour from this lens is stunning
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Omg, what are you guys doing?! I just had my LBA under check, and now I have to look for Nikkor lenses?!

I need to refinance my house....
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Omg, what are you guys doing?! I just had my LBA under check, and now I have to look for Nikkor lenses?!

I need to refinance my house....

Fortunately, there's a lot of really cheap Pre-AI Nikkors out there to be had.

I took a close look at my AI-S 105 2.5, tried it a bit, and I'm uncomfortable with how it fits into my mount - I don't want any rattling/scraping going on, that just introduces the possibility of more crap getting into the body.

I may try some older non-AI Nikkors, though, if they reportedly fit better.

04-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Fortunately, there's a lot of really cheap Pre-AI Nikkors out there to be had.

I took a close look at my AI-S 105 2.5, tried it a bit, and I'm uncomfortable with how it fits into my mount - I don't want any rattling/scraping going on, that just introduces the possibility of more crap getting into the body.

I may try some older non-AI Nikkors, though, if they reportedly fit better.

y'all do realize what your doing right? before long pentax users will be buying up all the pre-AI lenses on the market! on second thought. yes, yes this is very good.. Nippon Kogaku Nikkor lenses for all. maybe this will lower the price on Takumars, and I will be able to afford to purchase another 85mm.
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hey Dave,

Unfortunately, I can't take and post photos now. But let me try to explain....
Ok, I see it all now. Thanks!
04-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
jsherman999:I may try some older non-AI Nikkors, though, if they reportedly fit better.
Yes, the older glass is the best fit from what I read. In fact, some of it fits so well that the lens goes into the bayonet mount and actually locks. If you have the time, this thread at DPReview goes into the specifics:

Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is interesting. Thanks for all the info, guys. I have a Vivitar 100-300 F5.0 "Close Focusing Auto Zoom" with a Nikon AI mount that I bought in 1977 for my Nikkormat FT3. I understand that it's a series 1 lens made for Vivitar by Tokina, but I don't know how to confirm that. The "Close Focusing" lets it focus to about 8"

I would love to be able to use this lens on my K200, but the Nikon AI lenses mount counter-clockwise instead of the Pentax K clockwise. Could this mount on a K200?

Richard.
04-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
This is interesting. Thanks for all the info, guys. I have a Vivitar 100-300 F5.0 "Close Focusing Auto Zoom" with a Nikon AI mount that I bought in 1977 for my Nikkormat FT3. I understand that it's a series 1 lens made for Vivitar by Tokina, but I don't know how to confirm that. The "Close Focusing" lets it focus to about 8"

I would love to be able to use this lens on my K200, but the Nikon AI lenses mount counter-clockwise instead of the Pentax K clockwise. Could this mount on a K200?

Richard.
I have two third party lens with Nikon mount, one is Vivitar Series 1 35-85 2.8 (Non-AI Mount) and the other is Tokina AT-X 100mm 2.8 macro (AI mount). I dont know if this also applies to real Nikkor lens but both my lenses have small protuding part from the aperture ring. This thing is about 1.5mm thick. When i tried to mount the lens, this protuding part touched my DS body and caused the lens could not be mounted on my DS. So, on the Vivitar I just saw off the protuding part and it can be mounted. It's non AI mount so it fits very well.

Here's the image of the protuding part of the aperture ring

Here's after i saw it off

My AI mount Tokina has same problem, protuding part touching DS body. But after I solved the problem it can be mounted on my DS, although not quite fit, I can only turn it slightly but strong enough IMHO. Another thing, it has black flange (I'm not sure this is the correct term) to support the AI pin. I fear this flange can touch and damage the mirror so I removed it and just let the AI pin hanging around. Here's a pic

In case you missed that dpreview thread link posted by jewelltrail, here's a quote on how to mount the lens:
"A note on fitting the lenses: You have to align the dot on the Nikon lens with about the 2:00 position as you look at the camera mount. It will slide down fully. Then, you give it a slight clockwise turn - this is where the AI lenses barely fit on but most of the Non-AI lenses turn about 1/16th of a turn which is more than enough to get a firm fit."

I hope you can manage to mount your Vivitar 100-300 F5.0 to your K200D and post some sample pictures. I recently won a bid of similar lens (Pentax mount though and it doesnt say Series 1, at least not from the seller pictures), it's still on the way and I really would like to see image quality of this lens.

Last edited by sajah; 04-16-2009 at 03:10 AM.