Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Should I buy a Sigma 10-20

Hi everyone!
I'm driving myself insane searching these forums trying to find a consensus to my dilemma so I decided to just finally post.
My husband and I are going to europe this year and I just want to make sure I have the equipment I need to take the pictures I want. I love wide angle lenses and the effect you get at the widest angle.
Here is my dilemma, I have a 10-17fish eye lens which I love and am so excited to take some pics with it. I also have a Tamron 18-250 which I think will be a good walk around lens. But i'm wondering if i should also invest in a Sigma 10-20 since I seem to be drawn to all the wide angle shots i've seen. I'm just worried if I buy it I might not use my fish eye as much. I know they are different because one is rectilinear and one is fish eye but I just can't seem to decide.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thank you!

04-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
change the question

why should you not buy one?

Since I take 12% of all my shots with this lens (out of 18 lenses) it is hard for me to give a negative reason.

the only possible are, pentas 12-24, tamron 10-24 or sigma 12-24 DG (full frame) in the event you shoot film.

out of the three, designed for ASP-C sensors I am not sure there is a clear winner.

you would be happy with any of them.
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a different look from a fisheye w/ a different kind of distortion. Get it before your big trip. See what ou like best and sell the other...
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tammmzy,

I'm seriously considering the Sigma 10-20 before I go to Ireland later this year . I recently had the chance to play with one as well as a play with the Pentax 10-17.

Different lenses for different purposes IMHO, but one simple comparison I made is in the Post your Photos section. For travel purposes, I think the Sigma 10-20 might give you a more natural perspective. But thats my opinion - you might see things differently.

I also think the the Sigma 10-20 is brilliant in terms of bang for buck compared to the 12-24 (about AUD$200 cheaper!)

Perhaps the best thing is to try the Sigma 10-20 in the same situation as the Pentax 10-17 and see which is the more appealing.

Good luck with it and have a great trip!

Cheers

04-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I was in the same situation before, I seriously considered the sigma 10-20mm versus the pentax 12-24mm. A friend of mine has the sigma 10-20mm (a Nikon mount) and he highly recommended it.

I end up getting the Pentax 12-24mm instead (pricewise similar since I got a used one). I am glad with my choice since I find that I am using the long-end of this wide-angle lens a lot more than the wide-end. That is, 24mm is better suited for my shooting style than 20mm. I used the 12-24mm almost exclusively on my last trip to South America. I used it as a walk-around street lens as it is very capable wide open.

I think both lens are good, either way I think you will be happy if you are a wide-angle shooter. One more thing, the 12-24mm has constant max aperture whereas the sigma is not.
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
change the question

why should you not buy one?
That sounds like LBA rationalizing to me, sir.
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Tammmzy: I'm just worried if I buy it I might not use my fish eye as much.
Okay your worry is understood, now to allay it. Do as Lowell so nicely advised: buy the 10-20, or one of its 2 main competitors==can't go wrong.

Then shoot with it. Compare it to its Fisheye counterpart. If you find you no longer shoot with the fisheye as a result, sell it, to Lowell BTW Seriously, just put it up at the MarketPlace where one seafood loving, fisheyed Pentaxian will swoop in to buy it. If you have them both at your side it will be easy to decide once the images start zooming off the press.

Win-Win
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

YES

should you buy Sigma 10-20?
Oh, yes...

great lens, and if you know what you're doing the reward is great. You won't regret getting this lens, if you're into wide angle photography.

BR

04-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Well I bought it already. I'm such an impulse buyer its so bad. Anyway I bought it from Abes of main as it was way cheaper than any store here. Now my concern is that I get it in time for our trip! Fingers crossed!
04-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
That sounds like LBA rationalizing to me, sir.
you bet!

but seriously, in my opinion, you need a complete kit that goes from 10/12mm to between 200 and 400mm (depending upon desire for wildlife)

the 10-20 or a competing model is part of that system.

Unless you really don't like taking archetecture, interior shots (in museums, churches etc) or other extreme wide angle shots using the perspective distortion that the wide angle gives you, you will eventually need one
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

YES GET ONE! The 10-20 is so much fun for indoor spaces. The only thing i wish were that it were faster. Luckily Sigma announced a 10-20 with constant 3.5 aperture. If you are worried that you wont use the 10-17 as much, then you can just sell it and it will recoupe the cost of the 10-20
04-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I asked a similar question about a month ago....the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax DA 12-24. Most people said the DA, although I found that odd, especially when in the lens review section on this site gave the Sigma had more points than the DA! Sadly, no-one replied to me after I had pointed this out.

So do you use the points value in the lens review section?

Or do you believe the people who simply say "the DA.....", even though the DA points were 8.77 (from 13 reviews) and the Sigma was 9.21 (14 reviews).
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
I asked a similar question about a month ago....the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax DA 12-24. Most people said the DA, although I found that odd, especially when in the lens review section on this site gave the Sigma had more points than the DA! Sadly, no-one replied to me after I had pointed this out.

So do you use the points value in the lens review section?

Or do you believe the people who simply say "the DA.....", even though the DA points were 8.77 (from 13 reviews) and the Sigma was 9.21 (14 reviews).
The rating is subjective. To me, the constant f4 is important and I also think 24mm is better than 20mm - that's why I prefer the DA. I also think that SMC coating gives better IQ - again, just my preference.

Also, there is another thread by some members comparing the DA15, DA14 and Sigma 10-20mm. Perhaps, you can use that as reference as well.
04-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Tammmzy Quote
Thanks everyone! Well I bought it already. I'm such an impulse buyer its so bad. Anyway I bought it from Abes of main as it was way cheaper than any store here. Now my concern is that I get it in time for our trip! Fingers crossed!
Congrats on the purchase, I think you'll really enjoy. I bought this lens a few months ago and it's a great lens, but a difficult one to use properly (in the sense of being an ultra wide, not that this lens in particular is any more difficult than the next).

However, my fingers are crossed not only that you'll get it in time, but that you'll get it at all. From what I understand, Abe's of Maine is a rather notorious bait and switch company. If they call you about your order, don't accept ANY offer they push.

Good luck!
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If it's bought already I'll just say "Oh well" I was going to point out that with only two lenses, you dont even need a "real" camera bag, just a lens pouch and you can use a holster bag which doesnt take much space and can be put inside another bag, giving you more freedom. With three lenses it's not as easy. I love the DA 10-17 as well. Please update with your impression on how you're using the sigma! I'm in the market as well (will buy it someday)