Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Good, fast, 35mm... is it not there yet for the APS-C?

After I feel the real 50mm FOV from my first roll of film, I've been looking for a fast 35 replacement on digital. But after the Canadian price increase, a good, fast 35mm as the APS-C equivalent for pentax doesn't really exist anymore. Heck, even before the price increase, FA 35/2 isn't exactly the speed daemon that the FA 50 is. Times like this I realize how underpriced all these 50mm are (Tak 50 is probably still best lens I have). Too bad I don't find their FOV as useful as the 35mm.

DA 35 is still a good buy, very versatile for walkaround and excellent IQ. I don't mind the bokeh at all, but it's slow and isn't exactly cheap. If I don't have the Tammy 28-75 yet I would certainly get this lens now, especially seeing that prodigital still have it close to original price.
The Sigma 30, while it has excellent FOV and speed, is expensive and HUGE. Honestly I don't get why this thing weighs so much... makes the FA 50 feels like the Industar 50...

Now that Nikon has released their cheap, small, fast 35mm/1.8, I feel that other makers have to follow suit soon :ugh: But wait, Canon also still have the 35mm/2 for cheaper than FA 35 was originally. So, maybe cheap, fast 35mm isn't there yet for pentax (and sony?) but is there for Canonikon!

I know I should've gotten that FA 35 from the marketplace last month... oh well. I'll just save up and look forward to that Sigma Roulette I guess. Sorry for ranting. It's kinda frustating that while the true normal FOV should be a given for APS-C, Pentax just dont have a cheap option right now. I just would like to know if anyone else feels the same way (or even disagree)

Meh, maybe I should just keep shooting film after all

Last edited by Andi Lo; 04-14-2009 at 07:12 PM.
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
The Sigma 30, while it has excellent FOV and speed, is expensive and HUGE. Honestly I don't get why this thing weighs so much...
Because it has excellent performance at the edges. Good edge performance + big aperture = big heavy a** glass.
Even Nikon folks are impressed with it...
04-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree on the film comment

On APS-C I'd get a Nikon D80 with their new 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor, would be a very nice setup. The 35mm is only $279 Canadian.
04-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
edl
Veteran Member

One more on the film comment

I'm very happy with the sensor output of the K20D, but it'd be nice if Pentax produced more lenses. Nikon and Canon definitely have more pickings in that arena.

04-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had the same dilemma switching to digital
I ended up with the 31mm so its not =50 exactly but it does so much more then any of the 50's I ever had on film.
for me Pentax is about the Ltd's you cant get that from other brands
31mm + f/1.8 + K20D ISO + K20D resolution = no 35mm film ever can even get close. I shot with this setup in a dark dungeon where flash nor tripod was allowed and got some nice pictures.
I never thought I would stop shooting film until I got my digital
04-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what the FA35 might retail for in Canada right now, but prices in the US are still right where they've always been, and they are still readily found used at the same sorts of prices they've always gone for, so it should be possible to get one for a reasonable price.
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know what the FA35 might retail for in Canada right now, but prices in the US are still right where they've always been, and they are still readily found used at the same sorts of prices they've always gone for, so it should be possible to get one for a reasonable price.
Ha sorry I missed the part he was talking about price.. yeah that's the down side of the 31 $$$
04-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After I feel the real 50mm FOV from my first roll of film, I've been looking for a fast 35 replacement on digital. But after the Canadian price increase, a good, fast 35mm as the APS-C equivalent for pentax doesn't really exist anymore. Heck, even before the price increase, FA 35/2 isn't exactly the speed daemon that the FA 50 is. Times like this I realize how underpriced all these 50mm are (Tak 50 is probably still best lens I have). Too bad I don't find their FOV as useful as the 35mm.
I think f2 is a decent speed for lenses from 24mm to 35mm. The FA is quite sharp at f2, so it's a very usable maximum aperture, and the f2 depth of field is not so narrow that you need more to cover a subject. A faster lens would be bigger, heavier and more expensive.

04-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Because it has excellent performance at the edges. Good edge performance + big aperture = big heavy a** glass.
Even Nikon folks are impressed with it...
are we talking the same lens here???
Just about everybody/everywhere thinks that until stopped down to like f8 the corner performance of Sigma 30/1.4 isn't all that great...

anyway, I'm with redpigeons on this one. Go for 31ltd!! It's really worth it. It'll serve as normal on APS-C, and great wide angle on film/FF dital when (IF) it'll come out...

The resolution and colour rendition of that lens is from out of this world, I know it's hard earned cash but it's worth it...

BR
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the end I do hope to end up with the 31 ltd... but that's a pipe dream right now =) I'll try to get the FA soon probably. I seem to keep going back and forth between the FA 35, DA 35 and DA 40. Ahhh, whichever it is, I'll end up with a good lens with different strengths Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

And I just finished another roll of film today I feel proud.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 04-16-2009 at 04:21 PM.
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know what the FA35 might retail for in Canada right now
Oh, only about 775 CDN$... Utterly nutty pricing.
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
haha in Canada that is cheap like borst compared to the $1700 DA* 50-135
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
You know, I asked a local shop what they're selling the DA and FA for, and the girl (Olympus user) said to me: "doesnt that actually make sense? the f/2 being more expensive than f/2.8"?

I wish this was true when the FA was still 270$ ish ;b
04-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

In the end I do hope to end up with the 31 ltd... but that's a pipe dream right now =) I'll try to get the FA soon probably. I seem to keep going back and forth between the FA 35, DA 35 and DA 40. Ahhh, whichever it is, I'll end up with a good lens with different strengths Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

And I just finished another roll of film today I feel proud.
true, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3, though my piece of advice is:
IF you are really planning to go for FA31ltd in the future, get DA40 now. It'll leave you reasonable gap to justify the purchase in the future! The other thing you could play on is macro capability of DA35... but I'd still go for 40 and then later for FA31. I did it this way myself, great choices

BR
04-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh Peter, FA 31 will be a loooooong way in the future I don't have a job and practically a dependant right now. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Honestly though, I think I'll end up snapping whichever one comes as a better deal first