Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Uh...sorry to disappoint but I am not capable of using MF fast enough along with the zoom to have captured that pic. It was AF.C all the way baby!
One advantage of using prime lens is that I have always had a firm grasp of my FoV.
I saw quite a few good images from the new DA zoom. When you are more confident of the tracking capability of the lens/camera , you will have greater success in at least having the subject in your frame - and you know it is not easy at all.
The future is in AF-c tracking. With some key setting tested out you will have a lot more keepers. Good show
What is important is that you have made it. MF or AF-C are just means of attaining that . It just happens my 300mm is a MF one

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 04-19-2009 at 07:19 AM.
04-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Daniel:

This truly is fantastic work! It is such a joy to see you cultivating your BIF shooting utilizing decades-old technology--this is where the art still is in photography. I am impressed, but you had better not give away too many secrets or the sales in newer lenses might start dropping off.

Perhaps someday I'll gather up the courage to attempt something like this, but I'll be sure to prepare myself for failed results before I begin. Best.
04-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Daniel:

This truly is fantastic work! It is such a joy to see you cultivating your BIF shooting utilizing decades-old technology--this is where the art still is in photography. I am impressed, but you had better not give away too many secrets or the sales in newer lenses might start dropping off.
All my lenses are AF except Zenitar (for zone focus) and this A300mmF4. And my new one is a DA200mm

QuoteQuote:

Perhaps someday I'll gather up the courage to attempt something like this, but I'll be sure to prepare myself for failed results before I begin. Best.
Hey failure only results in you making a click to erase it. Big deal.

Simple speed Test for MF focus skill
All my BIF images starts off at subject around 100 ft away. Pick a fixed subject 100 ft away. On a bright day set 1/1000s, F8, iso 800. Also set the manual distance dial to 120 ft , raise up your camera and fire in burst right away. Of course you will get bland image OOF. Quickly turn your focus ring (anticlockwise for A300mm) until you can see your image focused in the viewfinder. I believe it will take a new fellow 2-3 seconds to focus.

The above is just a workout/stretching

After practicing MF on the fly on fixed subject , repeat the same process on a slower moving subject.

You will be the king of MF if you can do BIF image of a sparrow, chickadee or cardinal (or similar size bird). The best I have done so far is a slightly OOF image of a cardinal.

That will be interesting exercise costing nothing at all

Daniel
04-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

All my BIF images were done in burst mode. If you look at the exif of the first and 2nd image of this thread, you will know the 2nd one was taken one second behind. Actually shorter than one second

Of course you do not see the ones off focus or in less interesting wing position/pose. the worst part is that the bird turned around and I got its butt. The latter are say 99%. Somehow the one percent counts

Daniel