Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My DA*55mm f1.4 is on its way

Hi all:

My new DA* 55mm f1.4 is on its way. I think I am all "lensed" out for now. I have the 16-50 and the 50-135. One day I may get a longer zoom, but I think I am good for the foreseeable future--at least I tell myself that, but now my pocketbook is telling me that, too.

We are off on a vacation this weekend so I plan to put it to use and will try to post some shots and give you my impressions.

Gregg

04-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
I think I am all "lensed" out for now. I have the 16-50 and the 50-135. One day I may get a longer zoom, but I think I am good for the foreseeable future--at least I tell myself that....
Gregg
I wouldn't be so sure... see, you're going on vacation and when traveling, you'll really miss having something "damn-wide".... DA 12-24'ish...

Then, somewhere during your vacation you'll notice than non of your current lenses can do Macro... So you'll have to get either the DA35 or the DA100Macro...

And later you'll fell the urge to get the 60-250 to compliment your current zooms...

Nobody said LBA is easy...
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA* 300... go on
04-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
Hi all:

My new DA* 55mm f1.4 is on its way. I think I am all "lensed" out for now. I have the 16-50 and the 50-135. One day I may get a longer zoom, but I think I am good for the foreseeable future--at least I tell myself that, but now my pocketbook is telling me that, too.

We are off on a vacation this weekend so I plan to put it to use and will try to post some shots and give you my impressions.

Gregg
Please do. I just got one myself and would like to compare notes.

04-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I wouldn't be so sure... see, you're going on vacation and when traveling, you'll really miss having something "damn-wide".... DA 12-24'ish...

Then, somewhere during your vacation you'll notice than non of your current lenses can do Macro... So you'll have to get either the DA35 or the DA100Macro...

And later you'll fell the urge to get the 60-250 to compliment your current zooms...

Nobody said LBA is easy...
... and you'll want to go faster than f2.8 and wider than 55...
go on 31ltd...

BR
04-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
... and you'll want to go faster than f2.8 and wider than 55...
go on 31ltd...

BR
You can read minds now BR.. I have near on the same setup, but have a longer zoom as well as a couple of primes... but have just today finished comparing aussie prices against USA for the 31ltd... will have one soon

LBA and loving it

Neil
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Waiting..........

I really have tried to buy strategically. This was my first DSLR purchase. I have viewed with large astronomical telescopes for years and also have been Photoshopping with Elements and CS4 for a while.

I did not want to buy too much stuff, however, without gaining some skill. I rememeber my first big scope--I bought also sorts of extra toys and gadgets and then learned over time what I really needed and would really use.

So, I hope this will be my last purchase--at least for a bit.

I definitely am looking forward to this lens. I like using no flash and taking portraits. Right now its just projects for family and friends, but I am looking to build a portfolio and do some small potraiture work on the side.

I also just received Cybersyncs remote triggers and a transmitter for my 2 Metz 58 flashes. I tried one quickly (needed a PC to hot shoe adapter from Flash Zebra). It worked very nicely.

Ok, back to waiting. And, I do hope I can post something nice. After a while I will be known for buying and buying and not producing. As a coach said in high school to us--dont go out and buy a $200 raquet and be a $2 player. Ahhhh, before the days of PC.

Gregg

04-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #8

Enjoy DA*55.
I am having trouble taking it off the camera since I got it... My Limiteds feel kind of abandoned since I got DA*55.
Your "strategic" thinking indicates you are well resisting LBA and that you will be fine with your three lens set.
04-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some pics with the DA*55mm

Here are a few pics with the DA*55mm. Not necessarily the best shots or the right shots taken with the lens, but I hope they are helpful to anyone considering the lens. I will post more as I use the lens. I am not sure how to add descriptions to the pictures. If the file name of the picture shows in the posts the EXIF details are there. The top penguin is f1.7, 800 ISO, 1/125. The middle penguin is 800 ISO f1.4, 1/125. The bottom is 800 ISO 1/160, and f2.0 With the single penguins the focus was on the penguin's head (I was about 10-15 feet away) pointing my camera downwards. With the picture of the two penguins the focus was on the their heads (800 ISO, 1/60th, f2.8). With my dog the focus was on his upper eye (800 ISO, 1/45, f1.4).

The lens handles well and feels much like the DA 16-50 and 50-135 in terms of feel and quality, which is excellent. I still am learning much about taking pictures with a DSLR and I am sure my technique is not that great. I hope to learn to use this lens for portrait work.

I hope the pictures are helpful and will post a more detailed assessment when I have the time. I also will post some more in the f2.8 to f5.6 range.

Gregg

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
04-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoops

I forgot to add that all are **** JPEGS (Vibrant), no flash, EV +1 (I believe the one with my dog is EV + .5), no processing at all, taken in Aperture Priority.

Hope that helps.

Gregg
04-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Congrats on the DA*55 purchase!

I had initially tried this lens out for a few hours when it was released and at that time I was disappointed with the AF speed and the image rendering compared to the Voigtlander Nokton 58.

I still wanted the lens and needed an AF option in this FL range so I bought the lens anyway. After spending a couple weeks with the lens, I have to say that as far as image rendering, I would now (that I have taken some time to get to know the lens better) say that the image rendering is on par with the Voigtlander 58.

I still rate the bokeh of the Voigtlander better, as the DA*55 does have a little of that classic Pentax "nervous" or "double-line" type of bokeh, where as the Voigtlander 58 is a bit more subtle and diffused. But there are so very very many shooting conditions that you might encounter in which these subtleties will not show.

AF speed, I think it is a different experience with SDM vs Screw Drive, so maybe the comparison shouldn't be made, but while initially it did seem that the AF was slow on the DA*55, It really isn't as physically slow as it feels like it is. I noticed that vs. the FA50, the FA50 gets there faster, but then does little back and forth movements until AF is locked. The DA*55 might take longer to get there but it seems to go right to the spot and locks. So while racking from infinity to minimum takes a little longer with the DA*55, the total actual time to fully lock and let the shutter fire, is much closer in total time.

Obviously from point to point focusing (rather than nearest to farthest) there is hardly anything to notice let alone be worried about.

AF accuracy is very impressive, I have a much higher percentage of AF correct shots taken, than with other of my AF lenses, so this is turning out to be one of my best AF lenses after all.

F1.4 if you nail the focus, is very sharp.

here's a couple of images, the first at f1.4, the second at f4.0

04-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA* 55mm impressions

As I have used the DA* 55mm over the last few days, I think the AF is fine. It seems on par with the 16-50 and 50-135. All of the lenses are ok with AF--not particularly speedy, but they have a "snap" to their AF lock.

I hope to write a review in the next few weeks of the k20d, especially as it compared to the Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D. I had some limited time with the Canon, but had my friend's D300 for about 3 weeks and shots several hundren pictures with it, making direct comparisons with the k20d.

I have been very happy with the k20d and am very glad I decided to keep it.

The DA* 55mm was a good purchase. I need to learn how to use it, like the other lenses, but I feel I am able to provide some meaningful feedback at this stage. It is a very nice lens. I have not looked too hard for Chromatic Aberration--I know that has been discussed as an issue for this lens, along with the FA 50mm. CA doenot appear to pop out, but I will start looking at crops and this weekend likely will be taking some more pictures outdoors during the day--that should help me see if CA is going to be an issue.

Gregg