Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Teleconverter for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM?

The newest Sigma 70-200 with HSM is not compatible with Sigma's own teleconverters -- Notice to customers using Sigma Tele Converters for Pentax mount - SIGMA CORPORATION. Does anyone know if a teleconverter exists that does work with this lens? Thanks.

04-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
kenko mc4 and tamron mc4 do according to a thread around here somewhere...

the tamron being superior but impossible to find now. kenko is on sale at b+w and will cause a lot of focus chasing without really good light.
04-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As Werticus noted, your only current choice are the Tamron 1.4x and Kenko 1.5c TCs. Some day Pentax will release the 1.4x tc, hopefully. All of these support SDM/HSM on Pentax, depending on the production lot. The Kenko I have does support SDM and I have read quite a few reports on succes. The Kenko is not a bad choice, though I have never used it with my older Sigma 70-200/2.8, as I have the Sigma tcs for that lens - but that is pre-SDM.

I would not hesitate to buy the Kenko again, if you can't get a copy of the Tamron. Anyway it is a cheap option and you could sell it off with a bearable loss, if you are not satisfied.

Ben
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
drj
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My best idea is to sit and wait on E-Bay or Craigslist or the forums here until someone wants to ditch there copy. There doesn't seem to be that many floating around. The other option is to wait (for who knows how long) for Pentax to release their TC with SDM/HSM support

-=cj

04-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Thanks Lu,
You've just saved a couple hundred euros for me...
04-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
Thanks Lu,
Jari - another option would be to buy an older versiuon of the Sigma with the screw driver AF used, as the Sigma Apo tcs work nicely with the older versions.

Ben
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
Thanks Lu,
You're welcome -- I was real close to pulling the trigger on it before I decided to do some more research. I think I'll probably get the Kenko and see how well it works.
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip Ben I have to say that I just bought the newer Sigma as new, and somehow I don't like the idea about switching it to the older version. i don't care so much for the extra reach, but I'd like to get better close-up qualities. Well, I couldn't found a working TC nor automatic extension tube set. Having a little experience with close-up lenses in my canon days, I'm not sure that they're an option. Just have to keep looking... or surrender to the LBA, again