Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The next lens??

Hi all,
I have a K10D and 2 lenses: a DA 55-300 and the DA 18-55ll. What should I be looking at for my next lens? I travel a lot and used my 55-300 almost exclusively while in Kenya. But I also take photos of my grandkids at baseball soccer, etc. Going to Turkey, Greece, Croatia and Venice in the fall; What lens should I consider buying next?

Thanks

04-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
Hi all,
I have a K10D and 2 lenses: a DA 55-300 and the DA 18-55ll. What should I be looking at for my next lens? I travel a lot and used my 55-300 almost exclusively while in Kenya. But I also take photos of my grandkids at baseball soccer, etc. Going to Turkey, Greece, Croatia and Venice in the fall; What lens should I consider buying next?

Thanks
Gerrys, You have all the basic range covered. Only you can say what your next lens should be. The only way you can know that is by taking note of when your present lens set will not do what you want. Here are some questions to ask yourself.
  • Do you want to take better close up pictures of flowers and bugs? Get a macro lens.
  • Do you keep running out of room, and need a wider lens?
  • Is your telephoto is sometimes just not long enough?
  • Indoors with your 18-55, do you run out of light?
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. Your pics a fabulous. That 16-50 lens is sharp indeed
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
Thanks for the advice. Your pics a fabulous. That 16-50 lens is sharp indeed
I agree with you. The 16-50 is the lens I put on when I don't know what I'm going to take a picture of. It's very flexible, suits my preferred walk around focal length, doesn't care if it rains, has a pretty fast aperture for its focal range, etc. It was well worth the US$900 I paid for it.

04-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The 10-17 would not duplicate what you have already, and is not exorbitantly priced at about $400. It is very fun and quite useful with a bit of practice.
04-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have the range covered. Now to improve on it.

I would get a simple graph or data output of your most commonly used focal length and get a prime lens in (or around) that focal length to hugely increase the quality of a lot of your shots.
04-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I agree with you. The 16-50 is the lens I put on when I don't know what I'm going to take a picture of. It's very flexible, suits my preferred walk around focal length, doesn't care if it rains, has a pretty fast aperture for its focal range, etc. It was well worth the US$900 I paid for it.
Did that lens get bad reviews on it's distortion? I thought I heard that somewere. I am considering the SIG or TAMMY. Is the Pentax better in your opinion since the price has fallen quite a bit.
04-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Did that lens get bad reviews on it's distortion? I thought I heard that somewere. I am considering the SIG or TAMMY. Is the Pentax better in your opinion since the price has fallen quite a bit.
I think any lens at 16mm has distortion. I found that DxO Pro very nicely took all the distortion away, so I added that to my arsenal. It also does the same for the Pentax DA 12-24, 50-135 and 50 macro. They may have added other lenses, but I don't have them.

04-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The DA* 16-50 and 50-135 would definitely be a step up from your kit lens, but I think your next step would be to get a prime. To me, the FA 50 would be the classic place to start, but certainly the DA 40 would be another option. I just find that you see the world differently with a prime and it really changes how you use your camera.
04-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

as some others suggested, with basic range covered you have to sit down, look at what you've taken so far, and what you want to be taking pics of next...
you can go ultrawide: Sigma 10-20 is the budget option, DA12-24 is a great lens
you can go fast prime: with FA31/1.8ltd, FA35/2, DA35/2.8ltd, DA40/2.8 and FA50/1.4 all very good contenders.
you can go fisheye if you like that kind of photography with DA10-17 a great option.
Or you can improve on your kit, by getting DA* lenses.
Personaly I think one of the first two options (wide of fast prime) would be the most sensible/best.
It all depends on you style, on you budget.
So have a good thinking...

BR
04-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #11

A. I never take photos of brick walls or newspaper pages so every Pentax lens I've used has produced very good photos for me.

B. Take at look at the shots you've taken with your 18-55mm. If a significant percentage of them are at 18mm, you might want to consider a wider lens like the 12-24mm.

C. I used a 35mm f/2 a lot in the early evening and night. The f/2 is the attraction.

D. What you want to take photos of determines your lens. It's not really the other way around. I bought a macro because I just felt like I should have one. I don't use it.
04-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I might suggest the DA 35 macro or the FA 50 1.4. The DA 35 is so versatile, but in a different way from the zoom (18-250) i have. The images always seem to be in focus, and the ability to close focus, to macro style if wanted, but in between macro and normal is also useful in many situations.

I hate to admit i was wrong, but I too easily dismissed the comments of many prime fans about the value of primes. One is forced to think more about the composition, and get to its essence with primes. The FA 50, with its equivalent 75mm FL, forced me to slow down a bit and think about the image. I got so used to it with a tripod for night images, that i got to be really good in predicting where the camera placement should be.

Aside from the intangibles, primes are light weight, offer excellent rendering qualities. I think i like 50's and smaller because of the DOF. But portraits are cool in their own way. As someone said, evaluate what you most like doing with your images.

Its all good,
04-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #13

Original Poster
Great advice from everyone. Now I need to digest all of that info. I did not think about a prime; but will now consider the idea.
thanks
04-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
snip...

D. What you want to take photos of determines your lens. It's not really the other way around. I bought a macro because I just felt like I should have one. I don't use it.
try it as a medium tele...
I don't do much macro stuff but I love Sigma 105 for picking people on the streets...

BR
04-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Try a medium prime as Peter has suggested

Without an intent, it is hard to choose a lens. There are so many great photographers who would only use one focal length