Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 10-17mm fish-eye lens thread size

New to the forum and my K10D so go gently please.
I have the 10-17mm fish-eye lens and also the Cokin P series filters which I use with my other lenses. I cannot find any info of the filter thread size for the fish-eye. I look at reviews and they say not suitable for filters ?. Is this because of the barrel lens. If I could find the thread size on the lens I am sure it would be possible to use the Cokin system with it. Has anyone had experience of this.

04-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The angle of view of the 10-17 is to wide for any filter to work with it. And the front element is too prominent. You're better off investing in a digital filter suite.
04-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can mount 58mm filter if I remember correctly. As flyer said all filters will cause vignetting though. If you don't mind cropping then it could work.
04-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Filters

I'm sure I have a 58mm adaptor here somewhere, will give it a try. really I want to use NDs and polarising filters with the lens but its not to big a problem.

04-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I haven't got my 10-17 here, but Boz's page says that there is no filter thread on the lens.
04-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
jem

It is 58mm.

I've had some success with a 58mm-77mm step-up and thin 77mm filters. There are still problems of vignetting at the wide end of the zoom range and of course flare problems with oversize filters. But, it does give me some extra photo options that I don't have with the bare lens. Plus, it is a fun lens to be experimental.

Best,
John
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
AlexD

Re: Pentax 10-17mm fish-eye lens thread size

PENTAX 10-17mm does not have thread filter, as stated above, the angle of view is too wide. Plus, the front element stick out.

You could however try holding a filter in front of the glass, preferably one of those square ones. The photos will likely need some cropping afterward, though, as 10mm is too wide, the corners will have no filter in front of them.
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
58mm WILL fit the threads on the hood. The filter is suspended at the end of the hood, away from the lens front element. At 17mm, maybe a little less, it works great. 10-14mm or so you can see the filter, plus see wide of the filter since it is onlt attached to the two wide petals of the hood.

04-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexD Quote
PENTAX 10-17mm does not have thread filter, as stated above, the angle of view is too wide. Plus, the front element stick out.
Sorry to disagree but my 10-17mm FE certainly does have threads built into the hood and the diameter is 58mm. I have used it to hold filters as described in my previous note.

Last edited by jem; 04-20-2009 at 09:38 AM.
04-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Sorry to disagree but my 10-17mm FE certainly does have threads built into the hood and the diameter is 58mm. I have used it to hold filters as described in my previous note.
I am getting a bit of a mixed message in this thread in regards to filters hitting the front element. Is it possible to mount the filter without any step up rings (to increase distance) and not hit the front element? If so, which filter did you use? Thanks =)
04-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The mixed messages come from thoes who haven't tried it. 58mm filters fit on the end of the built in hood. They don't touch the front element. Works great at 17mm, doesn't work as you zoom out. I don't see the need for a step ring, at the wide end the ring would be in the frame as much as a filter.
Ryan
04-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Alright, thanks for the clarification. I actually might end up buying a step up ring anyway so that it can share filters with my Tammy. (two most used lens)
04-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
jem

Hi Andi,

Ryan is correct, the front element does not touch any of the 58mm filters I've tried when attached to the 10-17mm FE hood. Note that you need to take care in attaching a filter or step-up ring to the hood. There is not a lot of material to attach to and you don’t want to damage the hood.

I use the 58mm-77mm step-up ring for two reasons:
1. I have almost no 58mm filters but I do have a number of fairly high quality/expensive Hoya Digital & Singh-Ray 77mm filters that I don't want to re-buy in 'odd-ball' sizes.
2. The geometry of a step-up ring with a thin 77mm versus a straight 58mm filter gives me a little more range on the zoom. Not a lot more that the 58mm filters I do have but more none the less. A very thin 58mm might do the same – don’t have one so can’t say for sure.

Anyway, hope this helps. Have fun experimenting! This is such a fun lens to break the ‘rules’...

Edit: You asked about 58mm filters I've tried for fit: I tried a fairly standard looking Tiffen ND, a low-end Hoya UV and an old Viviitar warming filter. Like I mentioned - I don't have many 58mm filters.

Best,
John

Last edited by jem; 04-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.