Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #16

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the Sigma was in focus. I used both AF and MF and chose the better one, like I always do when testing lenses.

Prog.

05-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok,

with all of this, I'll say that there is only one consistent conclusion to draw here:

The differences from copy to copy are larger than the differences from manufacturer to manufacturer.

So, the point is how to get a good copy, then...
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Went to a Wolf camera that is closing a bought a Quantaray LD 70-300 f/4-5.6. It also has a macro switch that gives it a 1:2 in the 180-300 focal range.

I paid $74 for it.

Is it the same lens as the one you tested and did I score a bargain ?

The clerk said it was a rebadged Sigma.
From what I have been told it can be either a Sigma or a Tamron relabeled. If the filter size is 58mm its a Sigma. It's the non APO version of the 70-300, not exactly the same lens they tested.
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised with the rated performance of the 55-300 zoom Pentax. I have one and the pictures are stunning...they capture fine detail and colour rendition is outstanding.

I was concerned with the amount of plastic...certainly not built like my '84 Pentax A 35-105 zoom...but for the most part all lenses are like that, unless you buy 'professional' lenses that in many cases are in the 1000's of dollars category...this is just not the case for Pentax..but for Nikon and Canon.

I think as a semi pro or prosumer or whatever label you choose...the Pentax K10D , etc...and Pentax lenses are very hard to beat.

Problem that exists is that not a lot of people realize this...Canon and Nikon blanket the market with advertising.

Perceived value through advertising is an issue...I do believe.

05-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm not surprised with the rated performance of the 55-300 zoom Pentax. I have one and the pictures are stunning...they capture fine detail and colour rendition is outstanding.

I was concerned with the amount of plastic...certainly not built like my '84 Pentax A 35-105 zoom...but for the most part all lenses are like that, unless you buy 'professional' lenses that in many cases are in the 1000's of dollars category...this is just not the case for Pentax..but for Nikon and Canon.

I think as a semi pro or prosumer or whatever label you choose...the Pentax K10D , etc...and Pentax lenses are very hard to beat.

Problem that exists is that not a lot of people realize this...Canon and Nikon blanket the market with advertising.

Perceived value through advertising is an issue...I do believe.
It's not just optics though, as good as the lens is i'd happily pay another $100 for a USM motor on the thing but a) there is no motor and b) our SDM is cheap rubbish.
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
It's not just optics though, as good as the lens is i'd happily pay another $100 for a USM motor on the thing but a) there is no motor and b) our SDM is cheap rubbish.

So far it works ok for me ...focuses fast on flying birds which is what I need .

I do spend a fair amount of time with my K10D and KM in the Boreal Forest..winter and other seasons.... and there is a proliferation of branches that get in between my lens and my subjects.

When the lens 'hunts' I switch quickly to manual focus and I am pleased how well the 55-300 focus 'clicks' in.

I routinely took my K10D and 55-300 out in the forests during very cold weather...25 below C...isn't unusual up here in the part of Canada I live. I would generally be out for an hour or a bit less...more than that in these temps even though I dress for the weather... gets to be a bit on the cold side more for me, than it seems the camera equipment.

I have to say that I did wonder whether I would get malfunction from all that electronica.... either my camera or my lens...re; batteries dying quickly, shutter freezing, etc.

Pleased to say no problems at all...battery life didn't seem to be less, auto focus remained fine, etc.

Your comment about 'rubbish' got me thinking about quality..now...vs...then.

I come from the days where metal proliferated...both in the cameras and the lens...too much plastic for my tastes today....no matter what the make of camera.

The other day I noticed a pro photographer with a Canon pro DSLR...nice unit...scuffed like you would expect from such a workhorse...but also a little hole in the plastic body.

If that had been the earlier Canon 35mm pro..the F1 or a Pentax LX no crack and hole...maybe a dent in the metal.

But maybe that's just me, I got to get with the program and accept that camera bodies are not bult ike tanks..like a 50 year old Leica rangefinder.

But on the other hand...as long as I don't drop it..the K10D and lenses work real well...no matter the weather or conditions.
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
From what I have been told it can be either a Sigma or a Tamron relabeled. If the filter size is 58mm its a Sigma. It's the non APO version of the 70-300, not exactly the same lens they tested.
The filter size is 62mm.
05-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank`s all,,, good reading. B&H just e-mailed me shipping notification of my DA 55-300. Can`t wait till it get`s here tomorrow. (2nd day air, i need to get feel for it before next weeks air show.).

Cheers. Mike.