Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filter saves lens

Amidst the endless discussion as to whether filters have any use being put in front of lenses, this is to report my experience having had a filter (Hoya Pro-1 UV, in particular) probably saving my Tamron 28-75.

After a long assignment I just wanted to get into my bed. I threw my gear (figuratively speaking) into my car not having had packed them into their bags properly and got home. Picking up the bags from the car I feel the weight of one dissipate from my shoulder and then heard a big SMACK on the ground...

My *ist D with Tamron 28-75 hit the concrete ground from about a metre, lens first, impaling the front cap of the lens into the filter. I though the worst - the lens is gone. But then after prying apart the cap from the filter I found that only the filter glas was smashed with no defect to the front element of the lens.

Who knows if this silly mistake would have cost me the lens if I didn't have the filter on?, but I'd say now that to prevent such lens damage, one should either ensure all the gear is securely packed and kept clear of earth's elements (including gravity) in all situations, or just get a filter for a little more peace of mind...

04-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Filters seem to be a personal preference, but I've always felt naked without them. They just make me feel better when I use them... like seatbelts in my car.

Larry
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I always use my Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters on all of my lenes. Too much of an investment not too. Good job!!

Best part, there's no IQ issues using them, IMHO.
04-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Can you point me to a filter that could save my 8mm Peleng?

If they made such an animal, I would probably still find a way to break it.

04-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A broken cap hitting the front element won't scratch the glass. Your filter shards, had they broken off, would have notched your front element. Should consider yourself lucky that didn't happen XD.
04-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, I do, filter or no filter.

Though quite a few small pieces of the filter did break off when it was damaged. The majority of the glass did shard and stay within the filter ring, but the pieces probably did make contact with the front element.

I'm even luckier then...