Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

How do you store your lenses?

To anyone afflicted with LBA or who otherwise has more lenses on hand than you can mount on cameras, how do you store your lenses when they're not in use? I've got a shelf full, but I'm thinking I can to better to keep them safe and arranged so I can find the one I want. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Vern

04-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have that many lenses, but the ones not in use sit in a small cooler sized Brinks safe. I also stick this Remington dehumidifier with a gauge to make sure they stay dry. This little Remington really works slick. When it needs recharging, just plug it into a wall socket for 10 hours and it's good to go for another few months. Keeps my lenses at a nice dry 28 to 30% humidity. Best 25 bucks I spent at Cabelas.

Larry
Attached Images

04-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I don't have that many lenses, but the ones not in use sit in a small cooler sized Brinks safe. I also stick this Remington dehumidifier with a gauge to make sure they stay dry. This little Remington really works slick. When it needs recharging, just plug it into a wall socket for 10 hours and it's good to go for another few months. Keeps my lenses at a nice dry 28 to 30% humidity. Best 25 bucks I spent at Cabelas.

Larry
wow... humidity control and everything..
I just keep mine in the camera bag..
not many to store anyway.. hehe.. so they're just waiting to be used..
but I saw once in a studio where the guy had a dedicated shelfbox of sorts,
where he had a shelf divided into rather fitting squares on the wall and labeled shelf/(holster if you like) for each lens.. that was nice..
04-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote

Larry
I need to do something too....but do you stick the Remington dehumidifier in the safe......where does the water vapour go?

04-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I need to do something too....but do you stick the Remington dehumidifier in the safe......where does the water vapour go?
Yes, it goes in the safe. It's nothing more than a large version of those silica packets you get when you buy camera equipment. It absorbs moisture until it needs to be dried out again. Works very well.

Larry
04-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

With California's dry climate, best way is on an open shelf, lenses standing up with the mount end down.
04-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Wisconsin, it get's very humid in the summer months. The dehumidifer can be purchased thru Cabelas. Worth every cent.

Cabela's -- RemingtonŽ Mini-Dehumidifier

Larry
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I originally started using this dehumidifier for my pocketwatch collection. It's essential to keep them dry so they don't rust.

Larry

04-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
With California's dry climate, best way is on an open shelf, lenses standing up with the mount end down.
But with our seasonal wildfires I think it'd be wise to keep it in a case of some sort to keep dust and ashes out.
04-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
I appreciate the comments so far. SOldBear, I grew up in California but now find its climate sort of damp -- compared to some real desert. I'm not too worried about humidity or fungus though I know it's a problem elsewhere. I have my Super Takumars in their original cases in a old overnight case. My SMC Tak's, M's, A's, and FA's are on a shelf in a closet. They get air, but are out of the way. Still, I'm wondering if I should box them up somehow. Put them a case of some sort. Pad them perhaps in case they get shaken up a little. Still, I want to keep the various models together and know which lens is which without have to look to closely if I'm in a hurry. I've got at least a 28, 35, and 50 in every category of Takumar or Pentax lens.

I find I get more consistent results using the A lenses on my digital bodies. Whereas the M lenses are just fine on the PZ-1p. The SMC lenses are easier to use on the F and ESII, so I keep them separate from the S Tak lenses for my Spotmatics. It's still fun to use the old stuff you know.

Vern
04-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just keep mine arranged loosely by focal length in a couple of open bookcases. Makes it easy for me to pick out a 2 or 3 lens kit for the day. I keep both caps on all lenses when not in use, but have never had a problem with moisture/fungus even here in the Pacific Northwest.
04-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #12

Camera bag or just with lens caps on it works for me, either in humid Ohio or dry Colorado. Never had a problem. But all of my lenes are 5 years or newer.
04-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a cupboard full of lenses for the Pentax and Mamiya systems. The large format gear is partially stored in big aluminium trunks or another cupboard. I try never to leave lenses and other equipment in a bag, because I may not find it again soon and may be even a lens would fall out of a bag, when I store them into their separate cupboard...

Ben
04-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Scattered on the floor, sometimes on, sometimes off cameras.
04-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Scattered on the floor, sometimes on, sometimes off cameras.
o.... kay.. i would think that.. not to be very nice.. :/ ..but if it works for you .. hehehe..