Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Non-coated lenses and filters... reduce glare/flare?

If you have a non-coated lens that had a tendency to flare, would some sort of filter help? If so, what kind?

04-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
If you have a non-coated lens that had a tendency to flare, would some sort of filter help? If so, what kind?
Probably not. If you do add any glass, make absolutely sure it's multi-coated.

A good lens hood and careful shading of the lens will also help.
04-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
No. Dana is spot on.
04-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I concur... A superior grade multicoated filter MIGHT help, but the best thing is a good lens shade. I once had a 200mm with plain glass and I ended up mounting an extra long shade and trimming it down until it no longer vignetted the image. It ended up looking a lot like the modern petal shaped hoods (I shoulda patented it then and there dang it). This helped a lots but if the sun or a strong reflection was able to get straight in it was flare-city. I wouldnt avoid an un-coated lens if the price was right but you have to be aware of their limitations.