Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Lens caps and filters for DA Limiteds?

Hi, everybody. New member, first post here

I'm looking at getting a K2000 and some DA Limiteds (21, 40, and 70 for now; maybe 15 once its price settles down) as an always-have-it-with-me system because of their small size. I plan to use the DA Limiteds without hoods most of the time to minimize their size. So I have a few questions about filters and lens caps if I plan to use them that way:
  • All the DA Limiteds have 49mm threads, right? And I don't have to use the hood on any of them to use a 49mm filter? IIRC you actually can't use a 49mm filter on the DA21 with the hood, but just wanted to make sure I can use a 49mm filter on all 3 without hoods.
  • Planning on getting some slim filters with no front threads, so can't use 49mm snap-on lens caps with them. Would a slip-on lens cap like this one work on a 49mm filter? I've always used snap-on ones and never slip-on ones. If not, is a slim filter with front threads plus a regular 49mm snap-on lens cap a better option?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for the info. I'm itching to go ahead with this purchase, but want to make sure I'm getting the right things before I do

04-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess that depends on why you want a filter. If it's to protect the lens, you're far better off with a good lens cap and no filter than an unreliable lens cap on a cheap filter, and you'll get better IQ too - which will help make up for the IQ you'll lose by not using the hood.

Anyhow, I don't have the 21, but the 40 & 70 with hood removed can definitely be used with 49mm filters or caps. If you want to use the hood and filter, you'd put the filter on first then the hood - there are no threads at all on the 70 hood, and the 40 hood has 30.5mm threads.

Note that the 40 hood is very small, and like all hoods serves a very useful optical function, plus it helps protect the lens quite well because the front oepnign is so small. So I think you're shooting yourself in the foot three times over by replacing it with a filter (ie, removing hoods costs you in IQ, costs you in protection, adding filter also costs you in IQ), with very little gain in size.

With the 70, I can at least understand the desire to not use the hood, as it does add to the length noticeably and does not seem like it provides *as* much protection on its own, since the front opening is around 49mm wide too.

The 21mm hood is somewhere between the 40 and 70 in how it affects the overall feel of the lens.
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Marc.

I'd be going for B+W filters I think, so not cheap filters. Yes, it would be to protect the lens. Good quality filters have no discernible impact on image quality for most situations in my experience (strong light source in the frame would be one of the few problem areas), and have saved the front element on lenses of mine a few times, so I'm a fan of filters. I use a filter and hood on every lens I currently use, but this Pentax setup would be built for small size, so every little bit helps. Maybe I'll get the lenses in first and decide later if the respective hoods add too much length, then go from there. Pretty sure the DA70 hood will have to go though.

I might rethink the hood situation on the 40 since it doesn't add much to the size of the lens. I'm not crazy about the screw-on cap for the 40, so the hood would be a semi-cap of sorts. If I do that and left the hood open all the time I can just see it now--lint and junk build up inside the hood. Is there such a thing as a 30.5mm snap-on lens cap?
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
I might rethink the hood situation on the 40 since it doesn't add much to the size of the lens. I'm not crazy about the screw-on cap for the 40, so the hood would be a semi-cap of sorts. If I do that and left the hood open all the time I can just see it now--lint and junk build up inside the hood. Is there such a thing as a 30.5mm snap-on lens cap?
Actually, the lid to a Fuji film canister fits just perfectly on the DA 40mm.

04-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I actually find the screw-on cap to be much faster to put on and take off than the Fuji film canister lid I have - but perhaps my lid is slightly large. I suppose filing it down might help, but I just don't see the screw-on cap being enough of a problem to bother me. Especially since I leave the cap off a lot - the hood actually protects the lens very well in many situations where I might normally use a cap.

As for filters, I've made this comment before, but it bears repeating, because not everyone has followed all of these discussions: a personal articles insurance policy is cheaper than a good set of filters and gives *far* greater protection than any filter (when the last time a filter protected your camera from being stolen?). And I'm pretty sure the insurance policy has *never* been shown to cause any image degradation.
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I actually find the screw-on cap to be much faster to put on and take off than the Fuji film canister lid I have - but perhaps my lid is slightly large.
It just needs to be worn in. When I first used mine I found the cap to be stiff and somewhat difficult to remove. After using it for a few days it really loosened up and it's a snap now.
04-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll live with it for a while and go from there. No sense spending more money unnecessarily.
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

a personal articles insurance policy is cheaper than a good set of filters
...not over 30 years, I'd wager (that's how long I've had some of my lenses...)

04-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
I've always used snap-on ones and never slip-on ones. If not, is a slim filter with front threads plus a regular 49mm snap-on lens cap a better option?
This is a bit of a personal thing so you'll have to make your own decision - but I turned my back on slip-on caps ever since the irreplaceable slip-on cap for my SMC-K 15mm f/3.5 lens "slipped off" never to be found again. If you do use slip-on caps, at least try to find generic ones that you won't mind loosing.
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
...not over 30 years, I'd wager (that's how long I've had some of my lenses...)
OK, but how many lenses do you figure you've owned during those 30 years? If just 2 or 3, then OK, you're obviously right about that. But if you've owned a couple of dozen, each with its own filter, then cost is about a wash.

Anyhow, considering that the insurance policy protects the camera against a whole lot of things a filter cannot begin to, it's not really fair to expect it to always come in cheaper. The fact that it's even in the ballpark is what makes me flabbergasted than anyone would choose the incredibly limited protection of a filter over the very broad protection of insurance.
04-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Inactive Account

..........The fact that it's even in the ballpark is what makes me flabbergasted than anyone would choose the incredibly limited protection of a filter over the very broad protection of insurance.
I just purchased a zero dollar deductible rider for the following:

K20D
K2000
DA14
DA18-55 II
DA18-55L
DA40
FA43
FA77
DA50-200

Total cost? $37/year. I think I just proved what you already know.