Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question about rare macro lens w/ring flash

To all the lens gurus here - Dine/Kiron "A" 105mm f/2.8 macro...

Regarded by many (from what I read in the past) as one of the best macro lenses ever built.

Locally (from the dentist) - one is available, looks almost new, comes with Dine auto ring and side mount flash (can't find any pics on the web). So few questions:

• Will this ring flash safely work with K10D?
  • What would one expect to pay (fair) for such lens say in "EX" condition (with ring flash)?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 04-14-2007 at 08:57 PM.
04-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #2

I paid $150 for the P/K (Non-A) mount version last year, and have seen several go for about the same lately on ebay. I would say anywhere between $150-200 would be a good price for the lens alone. Unfortunately, I have no info on the ring flash, but if it will work on the K10 it would be great to have.

Optically and Mechanically this is an amazing lens, it is VERY sharp and color reproduction is as good as any of my pentax lenses.
04-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
clm

kbrabble said: I paid $150 for the P/K (Non-A) mount version last year, and have seen several go for about the same lately on ebay. I would say anywhere between $150-200 would be a good price for the lens alone. Unfortunately, I have no info on the ring flash, but if it will work on the K10 it would be great to have.

I got the KA version for $150 on eBay(BIN almost as soon as it was listed) .
The flash won't work in TTL on the K10, but should be safe to use in manual modes, if it has any. Someone on eBay is asking $150 for his.
04-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback and info, really appreciate it!

Too bad about the flash though... It is this exact unit:

eBay: LESTER DINE SUNPAK TTL MACRO RING POINT FLASH FREESHIP (item 130099711053 end time Apr-20-07 17:32:18 PDT)

Does it look like it can be used in Manual or other programs?

Regards,
D

04-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
cmv

You can definitely use it but it may be inconvenient. You need to test with a multimeter on the pin and the side of the shoe at the bottom of the flash the voltage while it is sitting there on. If it is higher then 8v-12v you don't want to use it on the Pentax (some say up to 30v). But you can buy wireless triggers on eBay for $30 and use those with any flash.

Now in terms of using it -- judging by the look of the rear of that unit and the light sensor on the front you'll be able to use it both in manual and auto modes (auto is where the flash senses the light and balances the flash with the light -- the camera lens is used with aperture priority to control the amount of light). I would say you can use it but it won't be as easy as something that had P-TTL (but few to none ring flashes do at the moment so...).

Also, as someone who just brought an Elicar 90mm lens with a Vivitar 2800 flash (but a non-standard one -- it has a head mount on a ring around the lens that swivels around it about 250 degrees in a circle) I would say you might want to test it. I don't know about the Vivitar lens but a lot of these older macros are flare prone. You might be disappointed compared to a more modern Pentax macro that controls flare better. Remember you can always sell it on eBay if you don't like it.
04-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha I doubt he'll be returning the 105mm f2.8 anytime soon. :P

The flash is TTL so I'm guess thats a good thing. (I use manual and wish I had P-TTL..lol)
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all, stopped by, made an offer and got the lens with the flash, also came with all the manuals for the lens and flash and matching padded carrying case

Yay to my LBA And still no guilty feeling?

Regards,
D
04-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
you're going to love this lens. it's as good or better than modern lenses. it is a beast tho. with a 2x TC , flash

04-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW, thats crazy! Nice detail! Yeah, I think I'm going to like this lens, but it is a big beast ok

Regards,
D