Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

04-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Great choice in lenses in the end Kevin and a wonderful shot to compliment it

This is my most used lens... I truly love it.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I

Neil
04-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin1961 Quote
Hi. MShawn63. I have just bought the DA 16-50 f2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM what a great lens. I will put up some shots I took yesterday. regards. kevin
That's a bold decision after your initial bad experience. I also waited quite long to get the 16-50, after the initial quality problems of that lens. But I wasn't in a hurry, as I already had the Sigma 18-50/2.8. The Sigma is basically as sharp as the Pentax and is much smaller and lighter (and takes 67mm filters instaed of the big 77mm ones), but now it doesn't get any use anymore. The Pentax' additional 2mm on the wide end make a real big difference for me and I swop lenses less often than before. You will immensely enjoy it.

For weddings and other available light situations I would still get one or two fast prime lenses, like the ubiquos 35/2 or the 50/1.4 or perhaps the 43/1.9 as the good compromise in between. I really enjoy using primes in these situations, as they force me to think more about perspective etc.

Ben
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #19

Kevin, When I bought my 28-70 the 16-50 wasn't yet available or I would have held out for it. The good copies are supposed to be spectacular.

04-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Neil. Thanks for the compliment but i think with this lens and the k20D you can't foul up hahah!!. I am trying to get down to the coast this week and take some sunset shots but I have some prtraits to do first in the studio and want to try out this lens in the black and white shots with a black screen i have. all the best. kevin
04-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
Kevin, When I bought my 28-70 the 16-50 wasn't yet available or I would have held out for it. The good copies are supposed to be spectacular.
Hi. The quality is lost some what over the internet about 20% I would say but this lens does give some amazing results indeed and I think I must have a good copy. I am trying some low light shots later tonight with candles and roses, fruit etc in the background slightly out of focus to see how the noise results are and do a bit of pixel peeping if there is any!!. All the very best. Kevin
04-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
That's a bold decision after your initial bad experience. I also waited quite long to get the 16-50, after the initial quality problems of that lens. But I wasn't in a hurry, as I already had the Sigma 18-50/2.8. The Sigma is basically as sharp as the Pentax and is much smaller and lighter (and takes 67mm filters instaed of the big 77mm ones), but now it doesn't get any use anymore. The Pentax' additional 2mm on the wide end make a real big difference for me and I swop lenses less often than before. You will immensely enjoy it.

For weddings and other available light situations I would still get one or two fast prime lenses, like the ubiquos 35/2 or the 50/1.4 or perhaps the 43/1.9 as the good compromise in between. I really enjoy using primes in these situations, as they force me to think more about perspective etc.

Ben
Hi Ben. My decision was bold and slightly expensive 860 euros more or less I think it was. I agree 100% on what you say about perspective, these lenses make you have to think a little more about how you want your end results to turn out. Have you got any info or do you know where I can get some info on the internet about these 2 lenses you talked about?. I love black and white work also low light portrait shots in low key, I also have to get a new flash this week as I sold the canon Speedlite 580 EX II with all my other canon gear. So I am now looking for some ideas on flashes dedicated TTL which works well with the lens I have and is a no fuss flash, the Speedlite 580 EX II was a good quality flash but if you messed the settings up by mistake at a wedding boy was you in trouble!!. All the best. Kevin

04-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hi Ben. My decision was bold and slightly expensive 860 euros more or less I think it was. I agree 100% on what you say about perspective, these lenses make you have to think a little more about how you want your end results to turn out. Have you got any info or do you know where I can get some info on the internet about these 2 lenses you talked about?. I love black and white work also low light portrait shots in low key, I also have to get a new flash this week as I sold the canon Speedlite 580 EX II with all my other canon gear. So I am now looking for some ideas on flashes dedicated TTL which works well with the lens I have and is a no fuss flash, the Speedlite 580 EX II was a good quality flash but if you messed the settings up by mistake at a wedding boy was you in trouble!!. All the best. Kevin
Kevin, the FA 35/2 and FA 50/1.4 as well as the 43/1.9 Limited are still available new from Pentax dealers. (There is a discussion, whether the 35/2 is still in production, but anyway you would get it easily by mailorder). I don't know the prices in Spain, but you could probably order from the UK or from Germany, which both tend to be cheap (from European perspective...), especially with the Pound rate so low.

Her soem more info on these lenses (but you will find numerous images and discussions about both here in the forum):

Pentax 43mm f1.9 FA Limited Lens (21371) - Warehouse Express

TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - smc FA 35mm F2 AL pen_2/35

TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - smc FA 50mm F1.4 pen_1,4/50

Ben
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Kevin, the FA 35/2 and FA 50/1.4 as well as the 43/1.9 Limited are still available new from Pentax dealers. (There is a discussion, whether the 35/2 is still in production, but anyway you would get it easily by mailorder). I don't know the prices in Spain, but you could probably order from the UK or from Germany, which both tend to be cheap (from European perspective...), especially with the Pound rate so low.

Her soem more info on these lenses (but you will find numerous images and discussions about both here in the forum):

Pentax 43mm f1.9 FA Limited Lens (21371) - Warehouse Express

TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - smc FA 35mm F2 AL pen_2/35

TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - smc FA 50mm F1.4 pen_1,4/50

Ben
Hi Ben. Thanks for the info. I will have a look through the forums to get an idea and see if there are eany photos taken to give me an idea of what the photos come out like with these lenses. I would like to get the 28-300 or the 50-135 which is in the shop where I bought the 16-50

Pentax - Foto Vega

But although these are nice for nature shots I need to think more about what makes the most money!! and that is studio and interiors and weddings etc. I think I will have to wait a while to get a god zoom, I still have to get a flash as well compatible with the lens I have and one of the ones you have mentioned!!. best regards. Kevin
04-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Ben. Thanks for the info. I will have a look through the forums to get an idea and see if there are eany photos taken to give me an idea of what the photos come out like with these lenses. I would like to get the 28-300 or the 50-135 which is in the shop where I bought the 16-50

Pentax - Foto Vega

But although these are nice for nature shots I need to think more about what makes the most money!! and that is studio and interiors and weddings etc. I think I will have to wait a while to get a god zoom, I still have to get a flash as well compatible with the lens I have and one of the ones you have mentioned!!. best regards. Kevin
Hi Kevin, looks like your shop is a bit on the expensive side. You could buy the 50-135 from Germany for 728 + 20 postage = 748 Euros, instead of 999 in Spain:
Pentax 50-135 mm 2.8 ED - Foto Erhardt

That's a considerable difference. The dealer I linked is reputable, a traditional photo dealer, not a discount store.

For weddings I think the 50-135/2.8 would be a good choice, whereas the 28-300 would give you no advantage, quite to the contrary as it is a slow lens.

Fortunately there is no shortage on Pentax P-TTL compatible flash guns at very different price tags - so the choice is yours. Matt has collected a wealth of valuable info about flash guns for Pentax: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

There you will find most of the info you need to make a good buying decision.

Ben
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I now have the DA 16-50 f2.8 another sample

Hi gemini. I had that one for a day and took it back, the focusing was terible, they never had another copy so I bought 2 other lenses but they leave me short for studio and wedding work?. All the best. kevin
I take back what i said. Have now got a good copy of the DA 16-50 f2.8 and all I can say is WOW this is good!!. regards. Kevin.
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi. Fs999. yes a few people have mentioned this lens and I am having a look around for it in Malaga. All the very best. Kevin
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Are you sure the 16-50 you tried was functioning OK?
This lens really is one of the best in its focal range, and is perfect for weddings.
I've used it at one, comparing it with another I shot with the Tamron 28-75 (which I think is an amazing lens for its price), and despite the stats I still think the 16-50 clearly wins over the 28-75.

I think you'll find that your 28-300 is just a little too slow to use for weddings - most shots will need to be taken in shade or indoors, making you have to bump ISO really high and/or shoot wide open at the risk of getting soft images. You really need something faster than f/2.8 to get the job done IMO.
Hi Ash, as you have probably seen by the photo above I have now got hold of a good copy of the DA 16-50f2.8 and it is giving me some outstanding results can't wait to play with it in the studio!. All the very best. kevin
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Are you sure the 16-50 you tried was functioning OK?
This lens really is one of the best in its focal range, and is perfect for weddings.
I've used it at one, comparing it with another I shot with the Tamron 28-75 (which I think is an amazing lens for its price), and despite the stats I still think the 16-50 clearly wins over the 28-75.

I think you'll find that your 28-300 is just a little too slow to use for weddings - most shots will need to be taken in shade or indoors, making you have to bump ISO really high and/or shoot wide open at the risk of getting soft images. You really need something faster than f/2.8 to get the job done IMO.
Hi Ash. Am having a few probs in responding to you, after I leave a message the page jumps to another thread!!, anyhow as you know I have a good copy of the 16-50 and is amazing. I think the next is a nice zoom maybe the 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED in the forum there are some nice clear shots taken with this lens. All the best. Kevin