Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Novice Lens Question

I am sure this is a simple "stupid user" question, but I have come into some lenses that mount up nicely to my K20. Those that have an "A" setting for the f stops I am having no problem with as I can control all the functions from the dials in terms of aperture and focus manually. On those without that setting though, even though they mount up, I am unable to shoot the shots even once I get focused because it is blinking "F - -" and its like it doesn't know what the aperture is and therefore will not go forward. What am I missing or is this common? It seems others are able to use the "M" series which seem to be the same?

04-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go into your menu and look for the item that says something like "Using lens on A setting" and set to "Permit non-A setting", and you'll find you can then set your lens to the aperture you want and the camera will meter when using the green button in M mode.
04-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The precise wording is [Enable Aperture Ring] and set it to [Permitted]. I have no idea whatsoever why it is disabled in the first place.
04-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I believe the default on "use aperture ring" is set to "prohibited"; just change it to "permitted", then you should be able to use MF lens.

04-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The precise wording is [Enable Aperture Ring] and set it to [Permitted]. I have no idea whatsoever why it is disabled in the first place.
Good point, Albert - so why the heck is it disabled by default, and who would ever want to disable it on purpose?
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Good point, Albert - so why the heck is it disabled by default, and who would ever want to disable it on purpose?
Jim, I don't know why Mr. Pentax did this at all. It makes no sense to me, but I did read somewhere that it might be so that newbies using A and FA lenses don't move the aperture ring off the A position and foul up their exposure. I just enabled it on my K10 and never move it.
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
Many thanks folks.....worked like a charm. Guess I would have eventually figured that out but you all saved me another evening of frustration.