Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 - Is mine typical?

I've just picked up a Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 lens, serial number starts N73.... and wondered if my experiences with it are typical of the lens:

1. The lens has a slight yellow tinge to it. Should I add a coloured filter, adjust the colour post-process or ditch the lens?

2. Metering on GX20 using Manual mode and the Green Button is accurate from f2 to f5.6, but overexposure creeps in from f8 onwards, by f16 the metering is way off. The over exposure is more pronounced using matrix mode than when using spot or centre weighted modes. Apart from test shots and using the histogram, is there any way to ensure more accurate TTL metering?
(On second thoughts, is this a problem with this lens or manual metering problem with all lenses? - This is the only lens that I use manual metering with.)

3. Soft at f2 and f2,8, sharp from f4

4. Bokeh gorgeous - which makes me want to persevere with this lens, but the metering problem is putting me off using it.

Any comments?

Last edited by FreddyFrog; 04-22-2009 at 07:14 AM.
04-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FreddyFrog Quote
I've just picked up a Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 lens, serial number starts N73.... and wondered if my experiences with it are typical of the lens:

1. The lens has a slight yellow tinge to it. Should I add a coloured filter, adjust the colour post-process or ditch the lens?

2. Metering on GX20 using Manual mode and the Green Button is accurate from f2 to f5.6, but overexposure creeps in from f8 onwards, by f16 the metering is way off. The over exposure is more pronounced using matrix mode than when using spot or centre weighted modes. Apart from test shots and using the histogram, is there any way to ensure more accurate TTL metering?
(On second thoughts, is this a problem with this lens or manual metering problem with all lenses? - This is the only lens that I use manual metering with.)

3. Soft at f2 and f2,8, sharp from f4

4. Bokeh gorgeous - which makes me want to persevere with this lens, but the metering problem is putting me off using it.

Any comments?
I can take it from your hands ;P

Now, serious, the yellow tinge you can clear all up putting the lens into some UV or direct sun light.

TTL metering with this specific lens seems to be a bit inconsistent sometimes as report by others.

I had one got broken by a family member but I will get another one "soon".

Someone else probably can help you more.
04-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

you can use the lens in AV mode you know, no need for M mode and button mashing.

yes it is relatively soft before F4

yes metering will go wonky because our cameras dont like fully manual apertures for whatever reason

the yellowing is normal, infact, until you clean it up, it might make some shots better
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things sound pretty normal for your J-9. My experience with the metering is gross underexposure at f/2 with moderate overexposure at narrower apertures. This is typical for fast non-A lens and is not a fault of the lens. My copy meters fine on my K-mount film cameras. As noted above, the easiest way to use this lens is to put the camera in Av mode.

I had noticed the slight yellow tinge on my copy as well. It may contribute a slight warming affect, but my experience has been that it is not nearly as evident as that from other lenses I have used (SMC Takumar 50/1.4 and my Sigma 50/2.8 Macro for instance).

Once you get some time with the lens, post your pictures and maybe even leave a review in the Third Party Lens Review area.

Steve

P.S. The metering issues at f/16 are probably due to low light at the sensor. My experience has been that the Pentax meter sensor is not linear as the light level at the sensor approaches EV 1.

04-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This lens is coated, and the coating is gold tinted, which might make it look as if the glass is yellowed. The best way to tell if the glass has yellowed or not is to look through the lens at a white surface making sure there is no light behind you causing reflections off the lens into your eye(s).

Freddy, don't dump the lens, just learn its idiosyncracies and enjoy it. I recommend shooting in Av. And for Pete's sake, why do you need f/16????
04-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, fairly typical - check out these threads:

What up Russia?

J-9 images n thoughts

04-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The whole appeal of the J-9 is it's quirkiness, mine is soft at f/2 but at f/2.8 it's pretty sharp and by f/4 it's dangerous! I had some weird yellowing effects on my images when shot under UV lights or something but have had no problems since then. As for metering above f/8...mine has never been used above f/5.6 so I can't help you there. Have fun with the lens and don't drop it on your foot!

04-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Well, as stated by Gooshin, the K/GX line has a problem with stop-down metering, but it's easily fixed by changing the focus screen for a LL-60... Search this forum for information about LL60, it's quite well explained here...
04-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies

This was my first thread on this forum and I've been really pleased by the helpfulness of your replies - thank you.

In summary:

Metering - I'm pleased to hear that the erratic metering is not a fault with the lens, less pleased to hear that its a general problem with the K/GX line of dSLRs. Interested to hear that changing the standard focussing screen may help. I've been considering a Nikon K-3 screen from FocussingScreen.com as replacement for the standard screen in my GX20. Any views on whether this screen might improve metering?

Av mode - yes this is much easier than Manual mode - thank you for pointing this out

Yellow tinge - seems to be a normal characteristic. This gives a quite distinct colour shift to the images and is the one thing that makes me unhappy with the Jupiter. Any views on how should I deal with this? Should I, for example, fit a coloured filter permanently to the lens, manually adjust the colour balance at the time of shooting (I have a WhiBal card) or adjust the colour post-process?

.......... and can I really get rid of the yellow tinge by shining UV light through it? Is this a permanent or temporary cure?
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Metering - I'm pleased to hear that the erratic metering is not a fault with the lens, less pleased to hear that its a general problem with the K/GX line of dSLRs.
that's distinct feature of almost every digital SLR, nothing unusual with K/GX. it's not considered to be a "problem", more like a "feature".
btw, you'll loose accurate spot metering with different focusing screen.

Yellow tinge - seems to be a normal characteristic. This gives a quite distinct colour shift to the images and is the one thing that makes me unhappy with the Jupiter. Any views on how should I deal with this? Should I, for example, fit a coloured filter permanently to the lens, manually adjust the colour balance at the time of shooting (I have a WhiBal card) or adjust the colour post-process?
i don't see any problems with tinge - shoot in raw and postprocess the exact WB later, or manually adjust WB whenever you get change in lighting conditions.